If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Comedy

edited 2012-12-25 05:15:15 in Media
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Making this thread because what Juan said is interesting, and I think it is true.

Horror is the second hardest genre to pull off, right behind Comedy.

It's easy to see why. With Comedy, if the audience doesn't laugh, they don't like it. And everyone can think something different is funny. There are very few, if any, Comedies that can appeal to absolutely everyone. So how does one write or make something comedic, and put their best foot forward?

It's a weird genre.

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I for one, like to go the easy route of absurdity and stupid puns.

But I'm also not a comedian. I have a friend who's an aspiring standup who I could get an opinion from if you want.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

It would be interesting.

Everyone knows I'm an aspiring screenwriter, but I only recently realized that comedy is the genre that I really want to pursue the most.

• I'm not sure comedy is that hard... if you have a specific audience in mind, as your target audience broadens, it becomes harder because not only humor is very culture sensitive, but good writing is often language sensitive.

There's also the fact that a huge amount of the humorous value of a given scene is entirely not up to you, but the meatpuppets: their acting, timing, chemistry and charm either make or break the scene. You know, how you tell the joke is usually more important than the joke itself.

• You can change. You can.

With Comedy, if the audience doesn't laugh, they don't like it.

No, it just becomes a drama. :p

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

There are plenty of great comedies I haven't laughed at.

Then again, Annie Hall is a movie where I went 'oh god that's just like me' far too much.

• You can change. You can.
    There's also the fact that a huge amount of the humorous value of a given scene is entirely not up to you, but the meatpuppets: their acting, timing, chemistry and charm either make or break the scene. You know, how you tell the joke is usually more important than the joke itself.

Which touches on one of the big issues which is that you have to write for your actor as well as your audience in order to obtain a funny performance, whereas in drama your actor should adapt to the material at hand.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I guess it can be harder to write spec comedy then.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Comedian friend responded:

Saturn is indeed correct; the goal of any comedy is to get laughter. This can be seen in every genre of entertainment as comic relief. Comic relief is an incredibly helpful tool used to ease tension in a storyline - especially horror. Saturn is also correct in that it is very hard to appeal to everyone. You will never get everyone in an audience to laugh. Someone will either not understand it, not be in a laughing mood at that time, or be offended. Why? Because at the heart of every bit of comedy/comic relief, is exaggeration. One of the core principles of a joke is exaggeration. Take a look at something you find funny - at some point you can find something that is disproportional to its setup or common theme; this is what makes it funny - the change in tone/message/etc. The unexpected twist of it all (whatever the joke/comic relief may be) is what creates comedy and subsequent laughter.

So how do you write comedy that puts your best foot forward and is still funny? Among other things, I've found that the best strategy is to know your audience. (Please know this is not the only thing to remember, but it is most of what you should probably start with.) People laugh at what they can relate to. I know it sounds weird after just saying that you need to exaggerate to create comedy, but this is also true. People need to be able to not only know what you're talking about, but if they can connect with whatever you're saying, they'll be much more likely to laugh. People laugh at what they know, and they can certainly appreciate when someone writes for their local group. It shows a certain amount of respect for your audience; it's like getting a shout out or thank you from someone important.

What should you know about your audience? I've stuck with these four things, although you really only need two or three: What they love, what they hate, what they support, and what they find stupid or ridiculous/do not support, (i.e. What they might be up in arms about at the time.) Make fun of what they make fun of everyday. Berate that which they berate all the time. Hate what they hate. Love what they love. Support what they support - even if you don't in your daily life - it will make them laugh. It will also get them on your side, which will provide you so many benefits I would need another two paragraphs just for them. The key is to know your audience.

Also, it should be noted that good comedy writers always edit everything they have. 99% of the time, your first draft of any comedy material will not be at its 100% potential, providing it isn't meant for a certain situation or it isn't time related. (ex. I just performed on the 21st, the day the world was supposed to end, so I talked about the potential apocalypse.That bit is now pretty much dead until someone predicts another apocalypse, and even then it would need re-working.) It also should be said that your comedy should never exactly be concrete. Your writing should never be completely set in stone; that way if you ever need to change it for a new situation or you have a better idea, you can edit it.

I also must say that all comedy should be simple and concise, without pandering to your audience. Pandering will piss them off - It will silently tell them that you think their intellects are lower than yours, which is a HUGE insult and something a comedian of any sort should NEVER do. Regarding conciseness and simplicity, your joke should tell whatever point and punchline you want it to, but it should be at its core point - no unnecessary parts. Imagine a joke/comic relief as a snowball of fresh snow. It works well if you really need it to, but the more you can condense it and pack it smaller without losing any snow, it will not only fly better, but it packs a better punch in the end. The quicker and simpler you can make a joke without losing any of the good/funny/important parts, the better it will be in the end. Just know that it takes a long time and a lot of confidence to learn what to trim and what not to - I still am pretty much clueless on what that really is; there's no definition.

Also, I recommend The Idiot's Guide to Comedy Writing by Jim Mendrinos. It helped me out to an unimaginable level. Hope this all helps!