If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJAM: TV Tropes

edited 2012-12-24 13:20:19 in Webspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I was just having a discussion about the dynamics of series development.  You know the trope called "Second Installment Weirdness"?  Well there are actually at least three types of Installment Weirdness:

• First Installment Weirdness: the first installment had a great idea; execution was a bit flawed but the idea was there, and it was improved in subsequent installments.  Examples: Pokémon, Scribblenauts (according to onyhow)

• Second Installment Weirdness: the first installment got it right, the second was used to take things in a more experimental direction and didn't work out, and the third returned to the first installment's formula because it worked.  Examples: Castlevania, Devil May Cry (according to onyhow)

• Third Installment Sucks: after two great installments, fans have high hopes for the third.  Examples: the X-men films (according to onyhow), Age of Empires

Then I realized why I like TV Tropes, and continue to like it despite so many people's bashing it.

That's because I enjoy its community for discussions like these.  About the dynamics of media creation, dissemination, and appreciation.  About trends in these things.  About those aspects of our understanding that inform our reactions to narratives and imagined settings.

I frankly don't give a crap about fan wanking, fetish fuel, or flame wars.  And no matter how badly the community features of TVT are managed, there will still be those topic-based aspects of the site's extended community, and that is what I love about TVT.

Comments

• edited 2012-12-24 13:27:03
    a little muffled

They split Early Installment Weirdness?

• "Third Installment Sucks" sounds like something that would be cut for being too complainy.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The third one is a terrible idea. The first two seem like legitimate pages, I guess.

• edited 2012-12-24 13:46:47

I wasn't going for acceptable page names.  My point was just the whole idea of thinking about these things conceptually, and the fact that TVT has enabled an extended community of people who are interested in these sorts of ideas to come together and discuss them.

• They're somethin' else.

I can't abandon the site completely. Every once in a while, I'll give myself a wiki walk now and then. Though nothing will ever make me 'splode tabs like back in the day.

• a little muffled

I still read the wiki from time to time.

• Silence is golden.

They split Early Installment Weirdness?

No, that's GMH gmhing.

• I like to read the Quotes pages, for some reason.

• Kind of a nice timewaster it is. Won't be anymore than that though.

• Ahh, I remember I contributed to the first installment one's YKTTW. Oh, I just noticed the launcher didn't include one of my examples over an incorrect detail.

Anyhow, I remember for a while I used to have a certain affinity for the site and its community that made me unable to hate it or individual tropers. It was kind of weird.

Also, TVT (and others) have made me realize I like cataloging stuff.

Also, I should probably get another handle one of these days. Meh, I'm used to this one.

• I hate the new people there, which by now is nearly 100 percent. Is that awful to say? Maybe, it's genuinely how I feel about that place.

That, and the horrible way people were treated if they disagreed on certain touchy issues with FE and the mods.

• What ninjaclown said. I used to like Madrugada until I felt she really shouldn't be moderating.

Such a poisonous, fearful atmosphere there. It was unclear what could be said and how it should be said.

Welp, there's that.

• I still browse the site, too, but it's not what I would call a venue for good chat anymore.

• edited 2012-12-24 21:19:05
    They're somethin' else.

Whenever I see that the Tropes vs Women thing is still getting traffic, I NOPE my ass right out of the video game board.

• Oh wow, people are still reacting to that?

Jesus, people stay so UPTIGHT at things for so long. It's sad.

• edited 2012-12-24 21:52:42
    They're somethin' else.

HAH! It got locked!!

Good riddance. The less ill researched drivel we hear of and from that cunt, the better.

Mod Edit: While there's no rule against this kind of post, the continued use of this kind of language and attitude probably isn't going to lead to any worthwhile discussion, especially given the sensitivity of topics potentially at play here. Let's tone down the fury a little. 

• I'm confused. What was she doing wrong? I thought she wasn't referring to TV Tropes specifically.

On the other hand I was on the border of that fiasco. :V

• edited 2012-12-24 21:36:44
    Has friends besides tanks now

Mind watching your language, Schitzo?

Also, this thread's verging on needlessly dramatic in general.

• edited 2012-12-24 21:50:30
    They're somethin' else.

My aporogies

and uh, let's just say the lass does little to no research on what she's bashing, moderates anyone who dares make an argument against her, valid or not, and we'll just leave it at that. Just look her up if you need to find out more or whatever. I lament that you're only going to be giving her fodder by visiting her videos. She IS a youtube partner after all, though many have mirrored her videos in order to avoid comment moderation.

• edited 2012-12-24 21:53:45

No, I know who she is. Hence why I think calling her a "cunt" is more than a little inappropriate. Aside from what I would think is obvious. :V

And your attitude about her in general is unwarranted.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Those kinds of comment help prove her point that the gaming community is irredeemably misogynistic.

Which IS true, by the way.

Okay.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

This thread makes me cry in many ways.

• edited 2012-12-24 21:56:49

Nevermind.

• edited 2012-12-24 21:58:48

How about we give Lazuli one less way to cry and drop the Sarkeesian talk, eh?

^ Thank you for editing on your own initiative. :)

• Edited mainly because I got ninja'd to Hell and back in record time, but you're welcome.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Meh, either way.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Anyway, TVTropes.

My opinion of it hasn't much changed since I was banned (and then banned again, because lol). The site's concept is a good one, but way too many people taking it way too seriously, combined with a management style that has completely failed to keep up with the ballooning and evolving userbase has kind of ruined it for me at least. When I joined in 2009 I was easily the most obnoxious person on the forums. Now that kind of emotional leeching is everywhere, and it's much more difficult to root out. 

The wiki half of the site is fairing better, but Google's interfering and what's left of the late 2011 anti-creepiness crusade are kind of slowly hacking large parts of the site away, plus the general anti-negativity policy hasn't really helped with this.

I still think it's a decent site, but it's not as good as it used to be or at least I don't like it as much.

• edited 2012-12-24 22:17:29

post moved to new thread to avoid derailing