If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Iowa Supreme Court upholds decision to fire woman for being "irresistible"

edited 2012-12-23 11:04:06 in Meatspace
But you never had any to begin with.

Link to article

Of particular note is this little tidbit: "“While there was really no fault on the part of Mrs. Nelson, it was just as clear the decision to terminate her was not related to the fact that she was a woman,” he said. “The motives behind Dr. Knight terminating Mrs. Nelson were quite clear: He did so to preserve his marriage." Because, of course, if she were male, she would have been fired under exactly the same grounds.

Comments

• I'm a damn twisted person

Such firings may be unfair, but they are not unlawful discrimination under the Iowa Civil Rights Act because they are motivated by feelings and emotions, not gender, Justice Edward Mansfield wrote.

Aside from the obvious gender fuckery in this this sets a bad precedent. If firings based on emotion are legal, then hell a boss can fire you for damn near anything. I mean okay most bosses already do that, but it makes it harder for folks to fight back.

Knight’s wife, who also worked in the dental office, found out about the messages and demanded Nelson be fired. The Knights consulted with their pastor, who agreed that terminating Nelson was appropriate.

Yes, a pastor is a brilliant person to advise you in business and legal matters. Totally.

Honestly the whole argument that guys seem to be unable to control how they react when they get a boner and risk turning into an asshole or a rapist and it's the woman's job to tiptoe around it all... it's just bullshit and insulting to bother parties. I mean fuck more guys should be insulted by the notion that when they get a boner they turn into a goddamn werewolf and have no control over what they do. 

• Plus, it's gonna start making people who haven't been fired feel ugly, but that's probably a smaller issue.

• edited 2012-12-23 12:16:31
    Diet NEET

Wife gets jealous about texts that only go on about family, husband is afraid he'll seek sexual satisfaction outside of his marriage, both too Christian to divorce, lay blame with the woman for being attractive?

With Falconfly-under-another-name out of the way, someone needs to take over the blame-it-on-Xtianism schtick.

I jest, but there is something distinctly culture-informed-by-Scripture about this whole thing.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

If firings based on emotion are legal

It's too bad this guy doesn't have a boss. One who could fire him on the grounds of "I don't like your face. What, I thought you wanted that precedent?" 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

As a male, I'm insulted by the implications of this decision too.

Also, "I hired a woman to replace the one I fired" is not proof that he's not sexist.  If anything, it's more proof that he is.

> Yes, a pastor is a brilliant person to advise you in business and legal matters. Totally.

Consulting their pastor is not the problem.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Reminds me of a XIXth Century story about a guy who got fired because the boss liked to punch his employees when drunk, and that guy looked to him like he wouldn't just suck it up like the rest did.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

this whole "making the control of my boner other people's responsibility" shit really needs to stop.

• this whole "making the control of my boner other people's responsibility" shit really needs to stop.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Hmm, I wonder what happened to the concept of personal responsibility.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

And here I was hoping Conservative America was dying.

But in the final months of her employment, he complained that her tight clothing was distracting, once telling her that if his pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing, according to the opinion.

There is no facepalm macro for how I feel right now.

Also seriously dude? I'm attracted to like half the people in this country because I have low standards. Control yourself.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

It is dying.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^It's not dead, but it is tearing itself apart with neo-cons, tea partiers, and libertarians all existing at the same time.

• once telling her that if his pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing

Or it's a sign that you're staring at her too much.  Or of any number of things that potentially have nothing to do with her.  I mean, human males are kind of like an overeager soldier with hearing problems -- we'll stand at attention pretty much whenever.  Just adjust yourself and move the fuck on.

• edited 2012-12-23 16:34:25
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Okay, I read it now... Turns out even if I want to defend the decision (it touches some general issues that on their own may warrant a discussion), folks in there do all they can to prevent me from it (edit: ^ like this).

So, uh, since we all agree it's bad, what do we do now?

We invade Iowa.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Will need some time to prepare. Tuesday?

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-23 16:43:33

Look, I'm all for enforcing a reasonably light dress code so people don't wear excessively revealing or inappropriate clothes in the workplace, but that wasn't what happened.  Just a dude going MAH PENIS TAKIN OVER MAH BRAIIIIN and taking it out on a subordinate.

• Champion of the Whales

Hmm, I wonder what happened to the concept of personal responsibility.

It applies to other people obviously

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

yeah, silly, everyone knows personal responsibility is for poor people.

• Poot dispenser here

Seriously, if you are worried about a woman in your workplace threatening your marriage, just transfer out/go work somewhere else.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Or get a divorce, if your marriage is that fragile.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-23 22:18:03

Or take marriage counseling.  Or just don't fucking sleep with the other woman because it's really not that goddamn hard, but people need to be more open to marriage counseling anyway.