If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

HD televisions in general.

edited 2012-12-19 14:26:27 in General
They're somethin' else.

I really don't see how much of an upgrade these things are. At all.

You can't play really high energy action games if they're not HD or yester-generation, because then they're either blurry or pixelated as shit, the former especially if you don't give the tv time to crisp the image. A lot of tvs, including mine, have this ANNOYING image smoothing or stabilizing thing. It hiccups, it disorients, it makes things move unnaturallly fast and then they'll grind to a halt and soon after, you'll see after images and artifacts and what have you.

So how to I solve the old video game problem and how to I solve the "we're fixing the image for you :D" problem?

Comments

• edited 2012-12-19 14:36:37
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> I really don't see how much of an upgrade these things are. At all.

Same here.

I don't know exactly what an HD TV is, but I do know that the display I get on the 32-inch TV at home that we bought several years ago (I think it's 32 inches? I haven't checked) is not much better than anything I saw on our old analog TV.  If anything it was worse because a cruddy digital signal falls apart immediately while a cruddy analog signal can still be reasoned with.  I _think_ our TV's vertical resolution might be 720p.  Maybe.  I'm not sure.

Oh, I also hear you can't play light gun games with LCD screens, but that's a whole 'nother ball game.

• They're somethin' else.

Welp, time to yank out my old CRT. I've been dying to play Vampire Night on the PS2.

• edited 2012-12-19 14:44:53
    But you never had any to begin with.

You can't play really high energy action games if they're not HD or yester-generation, because then they're either blurry or pixelated as shit, the former especially if you don't give the tv time to crisp the image.

Well, it's not exactly the TV's fault if you're trying to play a 256x224 (insert other extremely low resolution as needed) game on it.

• edited 2012-12-19 16:22:35
    a little muffled

Yeah this is pretty much like saying 64-bit PCs suck because you can't play DOS games on them. I mean, sure, that's annoying, but that doesn't mean it's not an upgrade.

I guess.

Can anyone attest to the quality of scanline generators? Do they remove the motion blur older games are otherwise plagued with?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What is motion blur?  I haven't had this issue emulating various 8- and 16-bit systems without graphical filters.

• Silence is golden.

So how to I solve the old video game problem

Some video converters can convert HD signal to 240p. The XRGB-3's very popular among retro gamers for that.

how's the SLG3000?

• edited 2012-12-19 16:58:29
    Silence is golden.

What I posted above is all I know, don't ask me, lol

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I like HD TVs because they make my games look pretty.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I use HD TVs because all my old CRT TVs were huge space wasters and most of them broke a long time ago, and HD TVs are all they sell nowadays.

Also, if you went to an old CRT TV from an HD TV you'd probably notice the difference.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I don't have a HD TV and don't particularly care about having one. We might consider buying it if our ten-year old CRT breaks down, though.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    > like saying 64-bit PCs suck because you can't play DOS games on them.

?

I have one, and I play DOS games on it a lot
  • a little muffled

Eh, it was an example off the top of my head.

Don't you need to use an emulator or something though?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

A better analogy would have been buying a new computer and complaining that it doesn't read floppy disks.

• edited 2012-12-19 20:01:12
    a little muffled

That one doesn't really work as floppy drives weren't removed as a necessary consequence of technology improving.

Well...they sort of were. Put better stuff in, and you don't necessarily have a place to put a floppy drive.

• edited 2012-12-20 02:42:04
    a little muffled

On laptops that's true (and indeed laptops got rid of floppy drives much earlier) but there really isn't any practical reason that a desktop tower can't be an inch taller if a floppy drive is something you actually want to include.

Floppy drives were removed (from desktops) because people didn't want them.

Speaking of, anyone know how Apple's attempts to kill CDs are going over with their customers?

• a little muffled

Probably quite well. Does anyone who things Apple is capable of doing wrong still use a Mac?

• edited 2012-12-20 03:11:53
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I don't right now, but I do know that I'll soon have to get one for my programming course next year.

So yeah. I don't worship Apple and I'll be using a Mac soon, though not exactly by choice. Does that count, Nyktos?

• a little muffled

I don't worship Apple and I'll be using a Mac soon, though not exactly by choice. Does that count, Nyktos?
    I suppose. I feel sorry for you though. :(

Why does your programming course require a Mac anyway?

• edited 2012-12-20 03:35:08
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Because it's going to focus heavily on developing iOS apps. That's not exactly what I plan to actually do for a career, but the iPhone and the iPad are extremely popular these days and beggars can't be choosers.

• a little muffled

Oh. Well, I guess that makes sense.