If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General politics thread (was: General U.S. politics thread)

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Is Hillary Clinton, like, okay?

Yeah, she's basically doing low-profile stuff these days to help out worthy causes, I think.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Well the inevitable questions to her about what she thinks of her election loss keep coming, of course, but I was basically referring to what she's actually spending her time on these days, as opposed to random TV interviews and such.
  • Gonna put the biggest news of the last day on the back burner to talk about net neutrality in this post.

I'd need to hunt for it and don't feel like it, but on a previous page of this thread, Serocco asked if anybody was worried about net neutrality in the wake of the election and someone (I forget who) said no, because there were much bigger problems to worry about.

That's an understandable view, and one which I sort of held myself at the time. But since then, I've both learned more about net neutrality, and net neutrality is now in more danger of being killed off than it was back then:

Here's what we have to worry about: Comcast, Verizon, etc will get to decide which websites you can and can't look at. And, of course, if a website doesn't get enough traffic, it'll die off. So basically, corporations will control information to an even greater extent than they do right now. 

I heard the point made earlier that if it weren't for net neutrality, Bernie Sanders wouldn't have been able to get his message out there and gain nearly as much of a following as he did, because Comcast isn't fond of him at all. (They're the parent company of MSNBC, so just look at how MSNBC covers Bernie for evidence of that.) They'd have prevented us from reading pro-Bernie stuff, and allowed us to easily access sites with pro-Hillary and/or anti-Bernie stuff.

If you're somebody who gets most of their news from the internet because you're skeptical that cable news will be truthful with you, then you'll see the difference between the two pretty much vanish.

Also, you'll have to pay more money.
    Quick reminder that while everyone was busy chattering about Comey's testimony, the Republican-controlled U.S. House of Representatives passed a repeal of the Dodd-Frank financial protections bill, including weakening the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    So would Obamacare being repealled be bad for somebody making around 14-15k a month?
  • edited 2017-06-10 20:51:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Vorpy wrote: »
    So would Obamacare being repealled be bad for somebody making around 14-15k a month?

Seems like the potential effects would be as follows, depending on the exact terms of the repeal/replacement bill, and depending on what insurance you currently get:

case A: You're on Medicaid.
    A1. Medicaid funding is significantly reduced, so there may be loss of coverage and services.  Medicaid is managed by the states, if I recall correctly, but funded at least in part by the feds.
    A2. Hospitals in poorer and more remote areas might close due to lack of adequate funding.

case B: You're on a healthcare marketplace plan.
    B1. possible loss of an insurance subsidy.  This gets converted to a tax credit, from what I've heard.  But if you already make too little money such that you owe very little or no federal income taxes (sadly there are other taxes to pay, something that the "but only 53% of people [federal income] taxes" jerks never mention), i.e. you get refunded most or all of the federal income taxes you pay, a tax credit would probably be useless to you. see below https://itjustbugsme.com/forums/discussion/comment/352351/#Comment_352351
    B2. Decreased coverage quality in the healthcare marketplace plan.  The bill being discussed basically makes it possible for states to opt out of "essential health benefits", or basically stuff that insurers are forced to cover, so they don't need to cover some things.  (Contraception is a particularly contentious subcategory that religious conservatives tend to hate.)
    B3. On the bright side, require (and the tax penalty) for not having insurance is removed.  However, this might mean that fewer people are covered, which means fewer people paying into the insurance pool, which means that the people who do pay have to pay more.  Which would mean higher insurance costs to you, for the same plan.
    B4. Hospitals in poorer and more remote areas might close due to lack of adequate funding.
    B5. If you're placed into a high-risk pool because of some past or present health problems, your premiums might go way up.  This is because the bill removes the rule that insurers can't charge people more for preexisting conditions.  There's a pot of money for high-risk pools but it's significantly reduced from the amount that used to go toward subsidizing these plans for healthcare providers (like hospitals).

case C: You're on a non-marketplace plan, such as something offered by your employer.
    C1. Decreased coverage quality due to a state possibly opting out of health benefits.
    C2. Hospitals in poorer and more remote areas might close due to lack of adequate funding.
    C3. I'm not sure what other impacts this might have, but they may be similar to impacts in case B.

Basically a lot of stuff gets left up to the states to decide, which generally de facto means that insurance companies have more leverage to issue less coverage, and charge more money for it, while the federal government saves a little bit of money.
  • edited 2017-06-09 16:33:22
    And in case there was any doubt about whether Trump would ally himself with the religious conservative crowd:

While "Comey Day" was going on, Trump was addressing the Faith & Freedom Coalition.  Not only that, he remarked that "we are under siege" -- likely talking about himself, and how many people are investigating him and his associates (which he conflates with political opposition), but this sort of remark has long been used by religious conservatives in the US (most notably conservative Christians) to indicate their dissatisfaction with what they see as an increasingly secular world going against what they consider to be Christian values (in their view, abortions, gay marriage, ignoring creationist "theory", separating church and state by not allowing displays of the Ten Commandments in courthouses (or forcing them to be accompanied by a display from atheists, in one case), and for some, even gender equality, etc.).
  • edited 2017-06-09 19:49:32
    commentary (not written by me): Comey's experience with Trump basically sounds like the experience of a victim of sexual harassment (not sexually, but emotionally).  including people asking afterwards why Comey did not respond more forcefully to Trump.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/6/8/1670160/-Most-Brilliant-Take-On-Comey-s-Testimony-By-Far-The-Predator-In-Chief
    sorry to multipost and I'll stop after this one but I thought this video was rather interesting

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/urban-revival-caused-crisis-success/
  • The Dodd-Frank thing sucks, and I wish things like that got more coverage than they actually do.

Reading Daily Kos' piece on the net neutrality situation restored a bit of the faith in them that I'd lost; prior to reading that I'd pretty much lost it all. The reasons for that are because of stuff Markos Moulitsas has said or done. E.g., people on the site were instructed to avoid saying things like "Hillary's a warmonger", along with other things people to the left of Hillary would routinely say about her. (I think that's an accurate label, personally, since I cannot for the life of me name a war or a military intervention that she was ever against.) There's also Markos' take on coal miners losing their health insurance.

But even if he is the founder, I guess he's still just one guy, so perhaps I shouldn't judge the entire site and everything posted on it by him.
  • edited 2017-06-10 20:16:22
    Different subject: I know it's been quite some time since the latest incident of antifa instigating violence against Nazis/racists/Trump supporters/etc, but I really do not like antifa.

During the election last year, I posted about liberal protestors at Trump rallies getting beaten up by Trump supporters, and then later on when a brawl broke out between a lot of protestors and a lot of Trump supporters I said that on a purely emotional level, I was glad to see them (the Trump people) get a taste of their own medicine.

Logically, I knew that maybe the Trump people didn't start that particular fight, and maybe the Trump people who got beaten up weren't ones who were violent themselves and didn't deserve it, etc. But at that particular time, it was always people on the right who were instigating the violence from the look of things, so I thought of them as the villains.

Well, then we had antifa/the black bloc wrecking things and people in DC around the time of the inauguration, and then we had them do it again at Berkeley. I still see people on social media talking about "fash bashing" and "Make Racists Afraid Again" and so on.

I can say that if our side is the ones starting the violence--even if it's against people who literally believe Adolf Hitler was awesome and wear swastikas--then that makes US the bad guys until I'm blue in the face, but it's not something they want to hear. Just gets me called a "liberal" (and I know, it might be poetic justice that after criticizing others for not being far enough to the left in my eyes, I ended up being on the receiving end of the same kind of criticism), or a Nazi-sympathizer, or even a Nazi-SUPPORTER.

Some people, man.

"That guy's a Nazi, we should beat him up just for what he says!"
    "That guy's a fan of Milo, which is just as bad as being a Nazi, we should beat him up for that!"
    "Is that guy wearing a Trump hat? FASCIST! He needs to be beaten up!"
    "Hey, is that guy saying we shouldn't be beating up all these people unless they attack us first? Does he want us to give these Nazis the first shot instead of preemptively attacking them? He's just as bad as a Nazi, beat him up too!"

The sad thing is that earlier today I read about an anti-sharia protest somewhere, which was a big group of people making noise about how horrible Muslims supposedly are. There were people counter-protesting them, and most of the counter-protestors were antifa. THIS time there was no violence, but my instinctive reaction was to hate both sides, because I remembered what antifa did before. The reason it's sad is that if antifa had never done any of that, if they'd just done stuff like they did today, I would be completely on their side. As, I'm betting, would a lot of other people. But instead, they're seen as volatile and dangerous.

EDIT TO ADD: And scary. That's not good. If their goal is to make racists afraid, it's a stupid one.

For one thing, a lot of racists become racist because they're ALREADY scared. They think minorities are a threat for whatever reason. If you decide, as a member of a minority, that you want to come after them and put them in the hospital, then they'll take away the message that they were right to be scared of minorities.

For another, you end up scaring people who aren't racists too. Particularly if you take a "with us or against us" attitude and say things like "If you don't think it's morally acceptable to beat Nazis up, then I think it's morally acceptable to beat YOU up." Um, okay, so you want to beat me up? Well, congratulations, now I'm scared of you. Now I feel relieved when I see you get arrested. You actually have me rooting for the very same cops I used to side AGAINST because of rampant police brutality. Congratulations.
    Following up on my post about Trumpcare and Obamacare:

I'm not very certain about how the tax credit thing works -- i.e. that batch of money you get from the government to help you pay for your insurance if you're not wealthy.

But what I've heard is that in Trumpcare it's changed in such a way that the poorest people can't get as much out of it.

You may want to dig up more info on that yourself.  If I find something on this later I'll post it here.
  • ^^ Hooligans, the lot of them.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Radical Islam is fun stuff, the right hates them because they're ebul mozlemz,, so the left feels compelled to handwave Islamism even though the difference between Islamism and a lot of radical right is just some bonus brownness.

Also, there is a buzz around here that The Donald is visiting us in July. My guess is that nothing specific will come out of it, but there might be some curious rhetorics or internal political hijinks.

lrdgck wrote: »
    Radical Islam is fun stuff, the right hates them because they're ebul mozlemz,, so the left feels compelled to handwave Islamism even though the difference between Islamism and a lot of radical right is just some bonus brownness.

I thought the right hates fundamentalist Islamists because they're Islamic, while the left hates fundamentalist Islamists because they're fundamentalist.
    Someone put up a portrait of Donald Trump in the Town Hall of Jackson, Wyoming.  (Jackson is a town in the Jackson Hole valley in northwestern Wyoming, near the Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks.)

Mayor Pete Muldoon took it down.  Apparently he replaced it with a portrait of Shoshone (Native American) Chief Washakie, a local leader from the 1800s.  Needless to say, there were reactions: http://buckrail.com/jackson-mayor-pulls-presidential-portrait-from-town-hall/

(Apparently there was previously a portrait of Barack Obama in the Town Hall, but it had since been taken down as well.)

Mayor Muldoon wrote an e-mail explaining his decision and laying out the importance of civics: http://mailchi.mp/b0aee1adc3d7/presidential-portrits-926737?e=[UNIQID
  • Jon Ossoff, Democrat who opposed single payer and tax hikes on the rich, lost to a Republican who said in a debate "I do not believe in a living wage."
  • edited 2017-06-21 16:25:32
    Archie Parnell came closer to winning than anyone expected. Heck, he came closer than Ossoff did.

I haven't yet figured that one out.
  • I'm pretty sure Trump will win 2018 and 2020.

He tends to defy history, so he'll increase his majority in the Senate, keep the House handily, and cruise to reelection with probably another split vote.

I doubt the Russiagate investigation will lead to anything, even if it's true he made dealings with the mafia (both of them).
    Serocco wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Trump will win 2018 and 2020.
    By this point I've almost learned not to have expectations either way.
  • Serocco wrote: »
    Jon Ossoff, Democrat who opposed single payer and tax hikes on the rich, lost to a Republican who said in a debate "I do not believe in a living wage."

This is why I believe the GOP could hold on to everything in 2018 and why Trump might even win in 2020, unless the Democrats run somebody like Elizabeth Warren against him. (In which case, Warren is going to need to not move any further to the center than she currently is.)

Most of the country, including people in red states, want progressive policies such as those two things Ossoff opposed.

Even if you're a social conservative, you want to make enough money at your job to pay the bills. Speaking of bills, you want to avoid getting bankrupted by medical bills.

In a race between Republican and Republican Lite, Republican is usually going to win. Maybe give people in those red states an option. Don't just assume that they want to hear conservative shit and that therefore it's impossible to win in a place like West Virginia if you're anywhere to the left of Joe Manchin. That may have been true in the past, but it's certainly not true now.
  • Andrew Gillum, running for Florida Governor, wants state law protecting no-cost birth control.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-gillum-governor-race-birth-control-20170622-story.html
  • edited 2017-06-23 23:31:29
    Here is Trevor Noah lamenting Philando Castile in probably his best segment on his show.

• edited 2017-06-24 00:14:13
    wow.

i saw another commentator's piece about this, but i hadn't seen that video.

Anyway, speaking of political commentary people: here's John Oliver on Coal.

• edited 2017-06-28 22:18:00

And just today, my bank charged me a $25 maintenance fee because information they previously gave me was wrong (specifically they told me that a certain minimum balance requirement was monthly average balance, when it's actually end-of-month or daily balance).

And then they charged me another $12 maintenance fee because another account was supposed to be linked to the first account and therefore not have a monthly maintenance fee but for some reason the two got de-linked.

(I had to call them to get both maintenance fees refunded. Thankfully, they did so.)
  • In what sane system should we pay a bank to put our money in the bank.

Good god man