If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"The word 'troll' used to mean something."

edited 2012-12-09 23:12:40 in General
They're somethin' else.

I'm not sure if you're lamenting that, wistfully reminiscing or giving trolling more credit than it's due. But I think I've heard that exact phrase about as flippantly as the word "troll" and "trolling".

Comments

• They might be trolling you.

• Semi-relatedly, this article about trolling, in which people accuse a guy of trolling when he says that iTunes is awful.  This boggles the mind, since I thought everyone knew that iTunes was awful.

• You can change. You can.

Honestly, I kind of agree, if only because now, everything ever in the internet is apparently trolling.

Plus, I've grown tired of the expression, anyway.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So, there.

trollface.jpg

• There should be an amendment to Godwin's Law for calling troll whenever anyone disagrees with you.

• They're somethin' else.

Well okay, I guess I agree too. They use it in the same sense as "I'm just fucking with you." which is vague enough as is.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> mfw no-one has mentioned mythological trolls in a context of "used to mean something" 

I'm just not sure whether you guys should be boiled or roasted. 

• Definitely not gay.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

• @MadassAlex Actually, the term "troll" comes not from mythological trolls but from the name for a technique in fishing.

• Let me tell you.

About Homestuck.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

ONORE HAVEN-DO

• edited 2012-12-11 18:02:39
    Loser

I agree with Schitzo. Sure, there probably are some types of behaviors that are more trollish than others and I am okay with some lighthearted trolling from time to time. A bunch of the time I think invoking "trolling" is mostly used either as a empty excuse to be mean and dishonest or in the way that Ponicalica mentioned.

I guess I am also not really a big fan of the whole "it's your fault for trusting people" takeaway I have heard occasionally about trolling. I do not disagree with the idea that people should probably be cautious about stuff, especially online, but I feel like the person who maliciously takes advantage of someone's trust probably should share at least some of the blame, if not most of it.

• Definitely not gay.

I feel like the person who maliciously takes advantage of someone's trust probably should share at least some of the blame, if not most of it.

Of course he's in the wrong for being untrustworthy, but it's still rather foolish to trust people like that.

I feel people think that trolling is an activity to be taken seriously nowadays. I don't understand this mentality.

• edited 2012-12-12 02:33:53
    Definitely not gay.

I feel people think that trolling is an activity to be taken seriously nowadays

I think he's talking about the more malicious (e.g asking for passwords claiming to be something else and then hacking accounts for shiggles) forms of trolling.

That's what I meant. People talk about that like it's "real trolling" and other, harmless prank stuff (Rickrolling) as if it's somehow the "pansy version" or whatever.

idk i'm rambling cuz it's late and i'm tired. You all know what I mean. Maybe.

• Definitely not gay.

People talk about that like it's "real trolling" and other, harmless prank stuff (Rickrolling) as if it's somehow the "pansy version" or whatever.

I have never seen any instance of that.

• edited 2012-12-12 17:21:43
    Loser

Eelektross,

Of course he's in the wrong for being untrustworthy, but it's still rather foolish to trust people like that.

Sorry if that last post was unclear. I agree with you on this (or at least I do as far as the giving people passwords thing goes). At the same time, I think there is some point at which it is unreasonable to blame someone for not assuming people are lying all the time. Of course, where that line is may be pretty arguable, but I feel like a certain degree of trust is kind of needed to do a lot of stuff.