If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Hobbit causes problems at 48 fps

edited 2012-12-07 13:09:35 in General
They're somethin' else.

I wonder, Jackson... Why the unorthodox style?

I mean, I could understand if it was filmed for 3d that way. 3D cameras need to take in a lot of images so it doesn't look too crappy.

But 3D's kinda crappy by default.

People are all going "Man i game at 60 fps, this ain't shit."

That's beside the point. Different mediums call for different types of immersion. Games need the 60 FPS because they're usually high reflex games that need your input and have to run smoothly for it. You're a lot more passive when you're watching a film, and you need to relax when watching one.

I dunno... Uh, @Juan, you're a film major, right? Can you share some insight?

Comments

• I'm not Juan, but 48 fps is altogether pretty unnecessary from a pure visual standpoint. It's meant to prevent strobing and excessive motion blur, but that's usually the least of your problems even when shooting in 3D. It also makes the picture look less cinematic, and actually makes it look more akin to a soap opera or those TVs that insert frames to make the picture look clearer. And elements like CGI look faker than they already are. There advantages, but they're pretty negligible anyway in the grand scheme of things.

• a little muffled

It also makes the picture look less cinematic, and actually makes it look more akin to a soap opera or those TVs that insert frames to make the picture look clearer.
    Well, obviously it looks less cinematic if "cinematic" here means "like a movie", because, you know, most movies are 24 fps? That doesn't actually really mean anything.

People are used to 24 fps. If 48 fps sticks around they'll get used to it too. Someone who rarely watches movies probably wouldn't even notice the "wrongness" of it.

• Yeah, 48 fps things usually look really uncanny to me.

• Kichigai birthday!!

I wonder if people with OCD won't go watch The Hobbit because it's not 50 fps

• edited 2012-12-07 18:08:57

Certainly that isn't nearly as bad as NTSC video being 29.97 fps, at least.

• You can change. You can.

I am a Screenwriting major, so my insight on this matter is basically

"Uh...what do these numbers mean?"

• Pffff, y u no technical filmmaker?

• You can change. You can.

Don't have much of an interest on the technical aspect of it and I'd prefer to make a living as a screenwriter (Although I will take the technical courses later on, because I am interested in directing. I'd just prefer to be a better writer first)

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-07 19:55:36

Basically, film is shot at much lower framerate than the refresh rate of TVs.  If you just duplicate the frames to match the TV refresh, it causes a jitter effect.  To try and correct for this, most TVs will use some form of interpolation to insert tweening frames -- like the in-betweens of Flash keyframes -- to try and smooth it out.

Doing this poorly results in a lot of other unwanted effects.  The soap opera effect, for instance, happens when you shoot something with poor-quality but high-framerate interlaced digital.  It produces movement that looks uncannily smooth and makes your brain go kinda  ?_?

Like Schitzo said in the OP, it's one thing when you're playing a game where you're constantly directing thought processes, but with a movie all you can really do is sit there and stew on the unnerving quality.

By shooting The Hobbit in a higher framerate than is industry standard, you sort of accidentally echo bad soap operas, occasionally induce motion sickness if the screen is big enough, and in the case of fantasy films in particular, undermine its exotically archaic tone by making it look hyper-real.

• I am a Screenwriting major

Specialization in all its glory.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Oh hey, look at me and Juan having the same major and shit'

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I think this article is pretty good at explaining the dealio.

Quite frankly, Jackson knows what he's doing and just because it looks a certain way for some soap operas doesn't mean you can't use it for a different or superior effect.

• Eh.  The way I see it, when your display starts making people feel nauseous, it's time to reconsider.

• a little muffled

IMAX made me nauseous the first time I saw it. Now I think it's pretty cool.

FPSes make a lot of people nauseous. So do cars.

• a little muffled

FPSes make a lot of people nauseous.
    Just as long as you're not playing 48 of them at once!