If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

It is just me, or are there less boss battles in games these days? Less good ones? Were there ever?

2»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Bosses can be "final exam" bosses, but they should not feel obviously like one.  Unless there's good reason.

@Eelektross: Fair enough.  Though I think what made me connect to them emotionally was in large part the music.

• Definitely not gay.

Toroko's Theme wasn't played in the game itself, if I recall.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No, it wasn't; it's a bonus title theme if you beat the game fast enough.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

There are some genres that just should not have boss battles.

The boss fight against Tartarus is generally considered to be one of the lower points of the Halo franchise.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That isn't because Halo shouldn't have boss battles. That's because it was a really lame boss battle.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Yeah, if any kind of FPS is compatible with boss battles, it's the sci-fi excessfest kind. 

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-12-04 14:48:43
    I felt that Gruntilda was one of my favorite bosses. Really fun and I think it fits narrative wise.
  • Yeah, Gruntilda was pretty great.  Rare was pretty good at "here's the thing you were doing before -- now do weird shit with it".

• Helps that she's the only boss in that first game who can't be Wonderwinged to death in mere seconds...

• Ironically, it's also one of the only two or three places in the series where you're expected to use Wonderwing at all.