If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why do (U.S.) conservative activists love spouting quotes?

edited 2012-12-02 02:33:07 in Politics
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I've had this experience several times now.  I talk politics with a conservative activist from the U.S. (i.e. specifically U.S. conservativism, not any other brand), and they spout lots of quotes to back up their ideas.  Quotes from Jefferson, Washington, Burke, Hamilton, Reagan, Lincoln...lots of famous political philosophy and U.S. political history names.

Why do they do this?

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Appeal to authority, probably. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Jefferson, Washington

Hilariously, neither of these two were Christians.

• edited 2012-12-02 02:47:05

I remember one of them just cut to the chase (perhaps unintentionally) one time, and quoted someone (Jefferson, maybe?) saying that people should never abandon principle for practicality, or something like that.

^ Actually, the ones who did this when I talked with them were big on economic conservatism (i.e. what people in the rest of the world call economic liberalism)--i.e., anti-regulation, small-government, pro-free-market, etc..  Though that may be partly self-selecting since I get into abortion and gay marriage debates less often.

I wonder if this actually says something about why they identify as conservatives.  Also why they tie themselves so slavishly to the Constitution (or the Bible).  They're looking for something stable, a rock impervious to the waves, that can stand still in a rapidly changing world and provide a sense of certainty.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Because quoting people is easier than coming up with your own ideas.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Hmm, come to think of it, I do remember someone quoting Jefferson (I think) saying something about life being the root of liberty or there being no liberty if there is no right to life, in defending an anti-abortion position.

• Why do they do this?

Everyone does this.

Because quoting people is easier than coming up with your own ideas.

Eh, while quoting too much is indeed annoying, when making a point it's convenient to refer to someone who made it more eloquently than we are able to.

• I don't know about you, but quoting things is the most fun thing ever.

(neither American nor a conservative by your standards)

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Everyone does this.

This.

I love ripping on conservatives as much as the next guy, a lot of people from all parts of the political spectrum do this. 

• Everyone does this.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

And not just with politics either.

I have a best friend that I get into a lot of debates and arguments with. A lot of times he will say something like "Well Mr.X my X Teacher said this and he knows what he's talking about."

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

a lot of people from all parts of the political spectrum do this.

Strangely, I think I don't do this.  Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing.

• I'm a damn twisted person

I do occasionally find this worrisome when the person making the quote is treating the past politician like some kind of hero or saint, and not a politician. This whole habit of folks treating the Founding Fathers as some sort of figures on par with religious reverence and the Constitution as their immutable word (despite the fact that it was written to be amended as necessary) is just a tad bit unsettling.

• They're looking for something stable, a rock impervious to the waves, that can stand still in a rapidly changing world and provide a sense of certainty.

I think so, yeah, considering that conservatism, in the more general definition is being resistant to change.

• Remember: Always refer to the Founding Father's optimistic hopes when looking at a policy, rather than how it's proven to have worked throughout American history.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking. (Dorothy L. Sayers)

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Strangely, I think I don't do this.  Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing.

It's a good thing that you don't, at least in my opinion. I find quoting to be fairly annoying.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I find quoting to be fairly annoying.

This.

• edited 2012-12-02 14:11:19

I am highly amused by the irony of the above post, and the aptness of the post three posts up.

• I was wondering when someone would point that out.