If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I caught a Registeel with the wrong nature and saved by accident afterwards.

edited 2012-12-01 23:57:52 in Media

I needed a Registeel with a Careful nature, but instead I caught one with a Bold nature and saved before I could restart.

Anyone have a Careful Registeel they'd be willing to trade for mine?

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Please explain to me what the difference is.  I haven't played that new a gen.

• Bold increases Defense and lowers Attack, Careful Increases Special Defense and lowers Special Attack.

What's a nature?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Basically, personalities a Pokemon can have that influences stats (+10% 1 stat, -10% 1 stat, or neutral across the board).

• Wow, you really haven't played a game from Gen III or later?

A Pokemon's nature will increase one stat by 10% and decrease another by 10%

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I guess this is one of my issues with how Pokemon has been going. The random factor of nature means that some element of your team building is either out of your control or requires significant save-scumming, which is just inconvenient for any game known to have a competitive scene. 

• edited 2012-12-02 00:09:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Wow, you really haven't played a game from Gen III or later?

Indeed.

The most up-to-date Pokémon gameplay I've experienced is starting a game of Crystal.

• edited 2012-12-02 00:14:45
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^Actually it's very easy to control nature via breeding (man that sounds wrong). And 90% of competitive matches use a simulator like PO or something where you can simply pick a nature anyway.

IVs on the otherhand...

• a little muffled

GameFreak aggressively doesn't care about the competitive scene.

This was probably okay at one point but is really stupid now given that Nintendo nowadays arranges huge tournaments. Fortunately it's not too difficult with practice to get perfect Pokémon by abusing the RNG.

As far as the main story goes, the games are easy enough for it not to matter.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

This was probably okay at one point but is really stupid now given that Nintendo nowadays arranges huge tournaments. Fortunately it's not too difficult with practice to get perfect Pokémon by abusing the RNG.

Not really possible as of B2W2. They made RNG abuse a huge pain the butt to pull off.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

end of the world, tbh.

• I just remembered that the Uxie I caught earlier had a bold nature, so I think I'll just use that instead.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Uxie. keep forgetting that pokemon exists.

If someone asked me to name all 649, I could do it, but that one would throw me off for a while.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Not really possible as of B2W2. They made RNG abuse a huge pain the butt to pull off.

How exactly?

• a little muffled

By changing the RNG algorithm, presumably.

• edited 2012-12-02 19:42:23
    If that don't work, use more gun.

How exactly?

If you know how RNG abuse works, they made it so like up to 10 or something Timer0 values can be produced on startup.

For those that don't. Say there's these 2 values, A and B, one of which has a chance of being produced on the game starting up, with A showing up more often. Now the way RNG abuse works, is that it depends on the value that's produced at startup. If everything you did depended on value A showing up, but B shows up instead, then all your hard work was ruined. B2W2 changed it so that instead of 2 values to choose from, there's like 10 or more, with some showing up slightly more than the others. So you want A to show up at startup, but now you have to worry about B, C, D, E, F, etc. showing up instead of just B. Making RNG abuse a huge pain in the ass. I don't even know what they did to breeding, but it's like impossible to RNG abuse that now.

So is this a good thing or not?

• I'm a damn twisted person
    For most players it doesn't matter at all.
  • edited 2012-12-02 19:46:59
    If that don't work, use more gun.

I'd say it's a pretty bad thing for competitive players. Now it's way too annoying/impossible to get an optimal mon for tournaments and all that jazz. For players not interested in competitive stuff, you don't have to worry.

GameFreak aggressively doesn't care about the competitive scene.

I wouldn't say that. Aside from IVs and natures (which were just intended to make a Pokemon unique) they seemed to make some adjustments geared towards that in Gen V. Such as some of the new mons and moves they introduced.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Or, since Nintendo/Game Freak/Creatures hackcheckers suck (I mean seriously, fans made better hackcheckers than they did) you can just use PokeGen and be done with it.

It's really easy to make your Pokemon look legit.

So how should Pokémon be played anyway?

• If that don't work, use more gun.

However you want. Seriously, there's just so many ways to play the games.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    On a game system. With your hands, if you have them.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

And if you're hardcore you play with your feet.

• a little muffled

@Marioguy128:

I wouldn't say that. Aside from IVs and natures (which were just intended to make a Pokemon unique) they seemed to make some adjustments geared towards that in Gen V. Such as some of the new mons and moves they introduced.
    They care about PvP. They just don't care about competitive PvP.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I aggressively don't care about competitive.

I only play in game, and with my friends. I've EV trained...three Pokemon I think. A Squirtle with Mirror Coat (took a long time to get)

My beloved Volcarona

And a Whimsicott.

• edited 2012-12-02 21:37:08
    a little muffled

That's very nice for you.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

IJBM: When people say "I don't care about competitive" in threads about competitive Pokemon.

• But you never had any to begin with.

How can you aggressively not care about something? Do you like, violently beat anyone who brings it up?