If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When Avast (antivirus) updated, it installed Google Chrome.

edited 2012-11-22 15:15:06 in Webspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Google Chrome proceeded to fuck up embed itself in my Quick Launch and pin itself to my taskbar.  I do not pin things to my taskbar.

It also set itself as my default browser.  And bumped Firefox down from the top of my start menu to the bottom of the Start Menu pinned list.

Uninstall, Google Chrome!  You don't belong on this computer!

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

lol piggyback software

• edited 2012-11-22 16:00:41
    I'm a damn twisted person
    You should have paid attention during install and unchecked it. Most free programs have piggyback crap you have to opt out of
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

There was no unchecking option.

I asked Avast to update itself last night.

Turns out there was this big version update that needed a restart.  I wake up, turn on my computer, and find out that Avast has updated itself.  That's what I asked for.  Then, I close that and Google Chrome pops open to welcome me to my new browser.  I didn't ask for that.

• IT WAS NOT BY MY HAND THAT I AM GIVEN RESIDENCE IN YOUR DOMAIN. I WAS CALLED HERE BY AVAST, WHO WISHED TO PAY ME TRIBUTE.

TRIBUTE?  YOU TAKE UP SPACE ON MY HARD DRIVE, AND RECONFIGURE MY OPERATING SYSTEM TO SUIT YOUR NEEDS!

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Welp.

I know I'll be sticking with AVG then.

• PERHAPS THE SAME CAN BE SAID OF ALL ANTIVIRUS PROGRAMS.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Since buying Windows 7 I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials, and I'm pretty happy with it.

• I have had absolutely no problems ever since getting AVG. It's worked solidly for 5+ years.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Hm.

Well, I already have Chrome, so this isn't going to make me do more than give Avast some funny looks in the future.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I use IE9 as my main browser (shut up, I like it), but still have Chrome as a backup browser.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I've actually heard IE9 isn't all that bad. Apparently the main problem is that a lot of people are using older versions.

FWIW I know that Avast asks to install Chrome during new installation (with option to decline).  But this was an update, not a new installation.  This might be a bug, but that doesn't excuse it.