If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Am I Pro-Choice or Pro-Life?

edited 2012-11-13 02:35:24 in Politics
if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

First of all, before I start, I know that labels like this are ridiculous, but I'd just like to know where to classify myself, just in case I'll end up needing it.

Second, please don't turn this into an abortion debate, because those always end up lovely.

Namely, I dislike both the extreme pro-life and pro-choice positions. I don't believe that life begins at conception, but neither that it starts with birth. There is a certain point in the development of the fetus, around the 24th week, when it already develops primitive forms of conscious thinking. This is the point where I believe the fetus becomes a human and, as such, gains an unequivocal right to life and the mother loses the right to abort at will, unless continued pregancy poses an immediate danger to the mother's health.

Comments

• edited 2012-11-13 02:43:08
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I'd classify that as Circumstantial Pro-Choice.

Wait, how do you feel about rape?

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Wait, how do you feel about rape?

Embryos and fetuses that are a product of rape can be aborted at will until the 24th week, just like the rest of them.

• You sound like someone with a nuanced position that shouldn't be basing your decisions on orthodox sides.

• edited 2012-11-13 03:41:05
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm both pro-choice and pro-life.

...okay, I just don't define human life as beginning with conception.  It begins sometime later, probably before natural birth, but I'm not sure.

And I don't think it's right for me to force my judgement calls on this issue on someone else.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I feel as though I should not have an opinion on the issue, since I'm not a woman.

So, I've kind of made it a habit to actively avoid developing one. Maybe that's copping out, I dunno.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Also, I solve practical problems.  Not problems like, "when does a human life begin?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of religious and philosophical wan--I mean, ponderin'.

I think from now on, I'm going to replace instances of "-wank" as a suffix with Ponderin'.

All prog-rock is just guitar-ponderin'

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Mmm...I'm technically a pro-lifer, how stuck up your ass you gotta be to make up that label anyway? Anti-abortion is far more specific.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

What vandro said. The Anti-abortion part. I'm completely pro-choice.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Anti-abortion may be more technically correct, but it looses some of the righteous indignation of STANDING FOR THE LIVES OF OTHERS. Granted that bit always tends to get undercut when pro-life folks support the death penalty and various wars. 

Yeah, I hate that they are never called out on that.

• They always are.

Okay, I think I might, I hate that they are never introspective when they are called out on it.

• a little muffled
    They always are called out on it online, perhaps. In mainstream politics? Less so. Though the term pro-life is thrown around less there anyway.

• Anti-abortion may be more technically correct, but it looses some of the righteous indignation of STANDING FOR THE LIVES OF OTHERS. Granted that bit always tends to get undercut when pro-life folks support the death penalty and various wars.

Heh, google Charlie Fuqua if you want to see the most extreme case of this dissonance. 

And I don't think it's right for me to force my judgement calls on this issue on someone else.

This is the important thing, though.

• You can change. You can.

In "God's Law ," Fuqua's 2012 book, the candidate wrote that while parents love their children, a process could be set up to allow for the institution of the death penalty for "rebellious children," according to the Arkansas Times . Fuqua, who is anti-abortion , points out that the course of action involved in sentencing a child to death is described in the Bible and would involve judicial approval.

is this the most hilarious paragraph i've read today

there is no "what the fuck am I reading" macro in the world severe enough for my reaction to that paragraph.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

With regards to abortion, pro-life, pro-choice, I firmly believe in Mitt Romney's singing voice.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Granted that bit always tends to get undercut when pro-life folks support the death penalty and various wars. 

It feels weird when you have the same opinion as a bunch of people who have completely diferent views in other matters and this is the group that most people relate to your opinion.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^^^ Well, children who haven't been born yet have not yet sinned.

But once they have...they're fair game.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^^^^ Oh, for God's sake...

• edited 2012-11-14 03:17:14
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

In "God's Law," Fuqua's 2012 book, the candidate wrote that while parents love their children, a process could be set up to allow for the institution of the death penalty for "rebellious children," according to the Arkansas Times. Fuqua, who is anti-abortion, points out that the course of action involved in sentencing a child to death is described in the Bible and would involve judicial approval.

He's a fundie. Don't expect fundies to make any logical sense, all they do is parrot the aspects of the Bible that they personally like, and those are usually the worst ones. The Bible, being a collection of scripts by various authors, is extremely inconsistent, and you can extract pretty much any conclusion from it.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

True facts, but still, there are not enough "WHAT."s in the world.

• But you never had any to begin with.
  • Does a beating heart means it's alive? Does that matter since the fetus died anyway, except it took the mother with it?