If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I'm indifferent towards Marijuana

edited 2012-11-10 18:06:50 in Meatspace

This has apparently earned me the ire of supporters and opponents of legalization.

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

How dare you have no opinion on something so insignificant. 

• edited 2012-11-10 18:29:57
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

If by insignificant, you mean, causes a lot of people to be sent to jail for many years just for possessing or using something that is less dangerous than cigarettes or alcohol, and is causing the waste of far too much money from the government and their "war of drugs" then yes, it's very insignificant.

So what you're saying is, we should ban cigarettes and alcohol too?

Sounds good to me! Let's do it. 

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I mean, sure, if that's what it takes.

I just don't like that cigarettes and alcohol get to be legal while something far less dangerous is illegal and sends a lot of people to jail that really don't deserve to be there.

So sure, ban cigarettes and alcohol.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I would actually agree alcohol and cigarettes should not be consumed. But to ban them is to incite a decade of bootlegging and period pieces based on them.

My point is actually that most arguments either for or against marijuana strike me as incredibly dumb.

I think it should be legal simply on the principle that there are far more dangerous things that are far easier to acquire, but that's really just because I like my laws to be consistent rather than any personal opinion about the stuff.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

My point is actually that most arguments either for or against marijuana strike me as incredibly dumb.

You could say that about a lot of stuff; people are just kind of like that.

• edited 2012-11-10 18:37:01
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Lazuli, that's exactly what I'm saying. I like my laws to be consistent. I honestly feel that should be the be-all end-all of it.

I kinda compare it to gay marriage.

You could say that about a lot of stuff; people are just kind of like that.

I suppose. 

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

how dare you not be pro or anti skub.

I kinda compare it to gay marriage.

I hope that's a really loose "kinda", because the issues are nowhere near eachother in terms of importance. 

Obviously, Lazuli.

But you're right, it is very loose. That's why I italicized it and underlined it. I just like consistency in my laws, and gay marriage is similar issue where the laws are not consistent.

OK then.

In any case. I think legalization of marijuana is not far off. Hopefully this will get my stoner friends to stop claiming they're oppressed. 

In a way, they are oppressed. But yeah, the complaining is annoying. My English teacher has banned papers on the subject.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Depends what you call consistency.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I support marijuana legalization wholeheartedly, but there are more important issues to deal with, like the economy.

Yes, I know legalizing weed would probably boost the economy. Shut up.

• a little muffled

I support marijuana legalization wholeheartedly, but there are more important issues to deal with, like the economy.
    This.

• You can change. You can.

I think it's kind of disingenous to say that marihuana legalization is not important.

Maybe inside of the U.S is quite irrelevant, but it would be a huge blow to drug trade organizations outside of the U.S (Most obviously Mexican cartels, of course) and considering that these organizations themselves are not only responsible for illegal drug trade, but for kidnappings, murders and so on, I wouldn't say that the legalization and the reduction of demand for illegal supply would be bad things to pursue or even prioritize.

It's also important to take into account that most of western civilization tends to base their policies on whatever the U.S goes for. American Legalization could be the first step towards the war on drugs reaching a truce in one of its fiercest fronts and reduce a significant amount of the consequences inherent to the conflict. 

• It is also arguable how dangerous marijuana really is.

It isn't.

• Marijuana legalization is also important because, in terms of enforcement, lower-class black Americans are disproportionately targeted and given harsher sentences by far for possession, let alone selling. It's actually a pretty major pillar of how systemic racism is enforced in the US today, and taking it out would be a big step towards equality.
  • edited 2012-11-10 21:49:28
    Has friends besides tanks now

^^ Provided the user isn't driving. Well, I don't know if it would be as dangerous as drunk driving, but at the very least, it would be a pain in the ass for other drivers.

• You can change. You can.

"Hey man, look at me. I'm motherfucking Joel Schumacher" - keeps driving at 5 MPH -

Marijuana legalization is also important because, in terms of enforcement, lower-class black Americans are disproportionately targeted and given harsher sentences by far for possession, let alone selling. It's actually a pretty major pillar of how systemic racism is enforced in the US today, and taking it out would be a big step towards equality.

I suppose this is true.

It isn't.

Well...it depends on the circumstances, as I understand it. Heavy use before the age of 18 or so can have some (generally slight but still undesirable) negative effects on the brain's development, though after adulthood it's no longer the case.

Smoking it, specifically, is bad for your respiratory system, but smoking anything is bad for your respiratory system.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It is also arguable how dangerous marijuana really is.

The worst that can be said about it is that it can bring latent schizophrenia to the surface in those that are biologically susceptible to it -- basically, those with a familial background of the condition. Unlike cigarettes, it doesn't cause cancer; unlike alcohol, it actively discourages exceedingly masculine but costly bar throwdowns. 

Obviously, one should always check their immediate family background before trying marijuana for the first time, just to ensure they're not a part of the minority susceptible to schizophrenia by the way of smoke. 

Incidentally, I find it kind of odd that smoking is generally seen as the default way to use it, given that it's both less efficient and worse for you.

• I like how a thread about how the op is indifferent to the marijuana debate turned into a marijuana debate.

Anyway, do any of you guys smoke?

• Has friends besides tanks now

Not me.

Not me. As I said in another thread, I don't have anything against it particularly, but my sinuses are REALLY bad as it is, and it couldn't be good for them.