If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Liches

Comments

• Champion of the Whales

I got your back Jack, Liches be crazy

• @MadassAlex: I want to quote pretty much everything you said in this topic for agreement and/or reference the next time I get into this same argument.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Okay, well, things learned today: apparently quite a lot of people on this board have issues with rules magic. :|

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I don't.

In fact, as I said before.

I don't mind mysterious magic, and I don't mind classified magic. Whatever works for the story.

A great, memorable story could be told with classified magic, and many forgettable stories have been told which feature mysterious magic.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^I don't. I like seeing magic treated as a science, mainly because of my own scientific sensibilities but also because having a set of well known and tested rules for magic and a system in place for people to learn and use said magic increases the verisimilitude of a setting for me.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I want to quote pretty much everything you said in this topic for agreement and/or reference the next time I get into this same argument.

Thank you for the kind words. I'd be very flattered if you did something along those lines, too. 

I didn't say "everyone", guys. :x

• edited 2012-11-04 13:27:36
    I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

I kind of prefer it more like Fate/stay night, where it is kind of a mixture of more mystic arts and science, at least from what I can remember it being.

Also Madness Alex, you have my undying allegiance, my brother in swords.

• ....wait this is a class. Isn't Lich a template much like "zombie" and so on?

It is. Pathfinder does have a martial analogue called a Graveknight. They're really cool, but I find that, by trying to make them too close to liches, they screwed up the fluff a bit.

Okay, well, things learned today: apparently quite a lot of people on this board have issues with rules magic.

The problem I have with it is that it often these systems try to eat their cake and keep it: Magic is "treated as a science" but society's structure is still medieval.

I kind of prefer it more like Fate/stay night, where it is kind of a mixture of more mystic arts and science, at least from what I can remember it being.

I do like this mixed approach. There is a "set of rules", but it only really applies to the weaker part of magic, while the more extraordinary powers and events still have that unknowable and miraculous quality... Though in this particular case, it felt like an excuse to move the plot along the way it was intended when the elements introduced meant that road made little sense.

• edited 2012-11-04 14:45:43
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The problem I have with it is that it often these systems try to eat their cake and keep it: Magic is "treated as a science" but society's structure is still medieval.

You might be interested in reading Mistborn if you haven't. Magic has some fairly strict rules (though for much of the series, it's clear that not all of the rules are known), and while society has stuck to a medieval structure, that's mainly because the immortal guy who took over the world doesn't like change.

• I don't have issues rules in magic, you're misunderstanding me again.

I'm saying that there should be murky, mysterious magic if you're doing a fantasy and trying build a distinctive world and as well as trying to say something about people. If you're not supposed to be paying attention (i.e, a game), then well-defined, systematic magic will do fine. 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Concerning wizards, I once saw a great picture on rpg.net, of a wizard hat-wearing nerd seated on a jock's shoulders and shooting a magic missile from a calculus handbook. The point was that Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards was essentially a nerd's power fantasy about jocks being, in the long run, meat shields for the awe-inspiring nerd. I'm mentioning it 'cause this memory just came to me, and the discussion has touched related matter, and in hope that perhaps someone here saw it.

Was brought up awhile ago.

I'll reiterate that anyone who plays a spellcaster for that reason is stupid, but I don't think anyone really does. 

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Not consciously perhaps...

Yes but when you get into why people do things on an unconscious level, you start looking less like you're trying to have a conversation and more like you're trying to cold-read to give yourself some sense of superiority.

Besides, most D&D sessions have a Fighter, or a Barbarian, or some other melee class. Such things wouldn't exist if no one wanted to play them. 

But if we don't cold-read here, we don't get the kaleidoscope of cold-reading in which we cold-read nerds cold-reading jocks cold-reading nerds cold-reading jocks. And unfortunately that is just not something I can live without. 

That doesn't sound like a kaleidoscope at all.

That sounds more like four angled mirrors positioned to reflect each other. 

In that case, I can't live without the Zelda puzzle of nerds cold-reading jocks cold-reading ect. 

• edited 2012-11-04 21:57:44
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I'd say it sounds more like one of those magic funhouse mirrors personally.

And honestly with the way this sort of thing goes, and the fact that "jocks" and "nerds" are rarely that well defined, I'd say we have something more akin to a flowsnake. 

What with the way it's filling up all this space. 

• edited 2012-11-05 06:44:06
    Definitely not gay.

Using the jocks vs nerds thing to judge this is kind of simplifying the whole matter, guys.

I mean you're acting as if that's the sole factor in deciding to play a caster class, which seems a bit solid when initially read but proves to be a piss-poor defense when given serious thought.

Let them have their fun, Eelektross.

• Definitely not gay.

this was a joke?

lol disregard everything i said then

Oh I have no idea if it's a joke or not, I'm just going to pretend it is.

For my sake, mostly. 

Necro! (how appropriate)

Today I decided that I would like to see more liches that are also mummies. It's a cool combination.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

But wouldn't that make it harder for them to move? A regular dead body—ignoring rigor mortis for a second—tends to be more flexible than a mummified one. Of course, it all depends upon the mummification process in question...

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Nah. Mummies never have trouble moving when they're reanimated.

In fact, regular dead bodies tend to be stiffer and more awkward.

And I sound ridiculous.

I mean in a fictional context.

.-.

But wouldn't that make it harder for them to move? A regular dead body—ignoring rigor mortis for a second—tends to be more flexible than a mummified one. Of course, it all depends upon the mummification process in question...

Yeah but y'know, magic n' shit.

Also it would prevent the body from decaying to the point of uselessness. I can recall a few D&D liches who are just say, skulls now.

This doesn't usually stop said liches, but I imagine if you were attached enough to the concept of having a body, mummification would be one of a number of ways to ensure you always have one.

• Definitely not gay.

But wouldn't that make it harder for them to move? A regular dead body—ignoring rigor mortis for a second—tends to be more flexible than a mummified one.

Dude, this is fantasy. Fantasy authors =/= biology majors.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Which makes fantasy smut all the more tragically amusing.

Are you implying that elf maidens don't chain climax by default, Alk? Are you?