If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Windows 8

edited 2012-10-27 15:18:43 in General
If that don't work, use more gun.

So what are your opinions on this? I'm thinking about going out to get a new PC (Laptop or Desktop, dunno yet) and I want to know if I should get computers that have Windows 8, or avoid it. From what I've seen so far, Windows 8 is in the "avoid it" territory for me, but I want to know your opinion on the matter.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

It's essentially a tablet OS that is frequently not going to be used with tablets.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Avoid it.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Wait for Windows 9 or whatever they call their next installment. It'll just be this with all the annoying taken out.

• edited 2012-10-27 15:28:58
    "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Windows 8 (Not RT, I'm assuming, because Windows 8 RT is basically Windows iOS)

Pros:

- Metro UI applications run faster than the old Windows apps.

- Boot up time is faster.

- Still run your desktop apps in the desktop environment.

Cons:

- Currently very few apps use the Metro UI

- Metro UI apps are only available via the Windows Store

However, I personally feel as though the cons are outweighed by the fact that all of your old apps will still run in the desktop environment. I personally think it's a cool idea for tablets/tablet-laptop hybrids, and nothing  terrible for desktops and laptops. I say that, unless you're getting a tablet-laptop, it really shouldn't factor into your purchase.

I really don't get the hate for it. It's not bad/annoying, unless you extremely dislike the Metro UI.

• edited 2012-10-27 15:31:12
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

^^ Pretty much, Microsoft has a habit of alternating between releasing shitty and great operating systems. Like, Windows 2000 and ME sucked, and they were followed by XP, which was good. The same goes for Vista and 7.

Boot up time is faster.

Yeah, but these days, if you use an SSD, your boot time will essentially be negligible anyway.

Still run your desktop apps in the desktop environment.

Not entirely sure how "don't worry, you can pretend you aren't using Windows 8" says much in Windows 8's favor.

Anyway, here's a pretty interesting Gamasutra article on how the Windows Store will impact PC gaming.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

If you're looking for performance levels, I've found a benchmark test.

For those of you saying their going to take away the Metro UI in the next version, don't count on it. Microsoft created this mainly for tablets and hybrid laptops(which, due to Windows 8, are getting quite popular), since they really believe that that is where the future is headed.

And, to be honest, I believe them. Tablets and hybrids are just as powerful, if not more, than most ultrabooks, and are a lot more convenient and versatile than desktops. Microsoft may have abandoned the gaming, big rig desktop crowd, but their move towards simpler, more accessible computers is probably one of their greatest in a long time.

In terms of that Gamasutra article, yeah Windows Store's current regulations are stupid. But I do believe they're going to realize their mistake when Steam announces their disdain for Windows 8. That, or they're actually gonna stupid and totally abandon the gaming crowd in order to push their XBAWKS 720.

Oh, I absolutely believe tablets are the future.

But this is like opening a gas station the day the first car was built. They're kind of jumping the gun.

I do believe they're going to realize their mistake when Steam announces their disdain for Windows 8

That happened like four months ago.

• Champion of the Whales

Microsoft reverses adult game ban on Windows 8]

The fact that they banned AO or 18+ games in the first place is breathtaking retarded

Okay, credit where credit is due; I'm glad they recognized how stupid that decision was.

• a little muffled

Oh, I absolutely believe tablets are the future.
    jeez I hope not

Well, at some point they'll probably start more commonly having physical keyboards like the surface does.

• edited 2012-10-27 16:44:29
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I've got a Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad. It's actually really nice. I've barely used my actual computer for anything other than games since I got it.
  • a little muffled

The shape is still less than ideal when sitting at a desk.

I tried to describe what a tablet would have to be like for me to consider using it as my main computer and then I realized I was describing a laptop.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I wouldn't mind an all touch screen future. But for right now, I like my laptop.

• a little muffled

I wouldn't mind an all touch screen future.
    Unless they manage to make a touchscreen keyboard where you can somehow actually feel the keys, I very much would.

Touchscreens and keyboards aren't mutually exclusive. Hence what I said about the Surface earlier.

• a little muffled

I figured keyboards were included in Saturn's "all-touchscreen future".

Certainly a laptop with a touchscreen but also an actual keyboard is A-OK with me, and I could imagine getting used to using touch instead of a mouse for most purposes (provided interfaces are designed with that in mind, as on mobile OS -- though I doubt touch will be able to completely replace mice as long as people game on PC). But I'll keep my physical keyboard, thanks.

• edited 2012-10-28 07:54:01
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

As much as I'd like to believe in the whole idea of the alternating Windows release cycle this time and pray that Windows 9 will actually be useful to people with personal desktop computers, the mobile computing wave has me thinking that Microsoft is just going to completely forget about us sometime within the next decade. And once that happens, either a) desktop computing as we know it will all but die out or b) personal Linux adoption will shoot through the roof and all the way to Andromeda.

I certainly hope not. Linux is for people who self-identify as computer enthusiasts and know what they're doing with their machines. I'm grateful I can keep my laptop from exploding when I turn it on, much less know how to compile code on my own, which is what you apparently have to do with pretty much any Linux application.

• edited 2012-10-28 12:05:16
    a little muffled

I certainly hope not. Linux is for people who self-identify as computer enthusiasts and know what they're doing with their machines. I'm grateful I can keep my laptop from exploding when I turn it on, much less know how to compile code on my own, which is what you apparently have to do with pretty much any Linux application.
    I used Linux for a year without problem despite all my attempts to compile things from source failing miserably. Most distributions -- certainly all the ones that anyone would recommend for someone new to Linux -- include an easier way to install programs.

• edited 2012-10-28 23:58:01

Compiling code yourself is generally difficult at first, yeah, but I think I can safely say that it's not too hard to get the hang of it. Automated installers such as yum or apt-get can be pretty damn helpful even when you're compiling a program from source, because you can use them to very easily retrieve the dependencies that the source code didn't come with.

• edited 2012-10-29 03:13:37
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

^ I've seen some cases where the readme file in the source code or site for whatever you downloaded actually gives you the package names for dependencies in one easy to copy/paste command for either apt-get/aptitude or yum just to speed things up even further

• No rainbow star
    I know that if Microsoft goes the Apple route, I'd probably jump ship to Ubuntu with a dual boot of Windows for those occasional times I need to use it

So basically the reverse of what I currently do
  • The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

The fun part is Ubuntu is trying to mimic OS X's interface nowadays too.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Fuck it! I'll learn how to code my own god damn OS! With Blackjack! And hookers!
  • edited 2012-10-30 07:36:31

I know that's meant to be a joke, but I'd still like to point out that most of the people behind the major Linux distributions don't "code" them so much as put them together like a Lego tower.

Also, now that I have a bit more experience with the Linux operating system in general, I'm not so big on using Ubuntu anymore. As for where to go next, I'm currently trying to choose between Fedora and Slackware...

Well you could always choose Fedora and Fedora Fedora Fedora Fedora

• No rainbow star
    Which distros are user friendly enough (I wouldn't mind stuff that may take a few minutes to learn. Having to read pages upon pages of manuals is a no, however)
  • A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    Fedora, definitely. Slackware is designed for people who always know exactly what they're doing.