If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

There are at least three landmarks called "Chimney Rock" in the United States

edited 2012-10-22 15:16:09 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

This is confusing the heck out of me!

So when I was in Wyoming I took a picture of a notable rock that was easily visible from the road: http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z82/Glenn_Magus_Harvey/please identify/westerntripday4046.jpg

I called it "chimney rock" because I'd heard that name before somewhere and I thought it looked vaguely like a chimney.

Then I went online to look for more details on it.  That's how I discovered the most famous Chimney Rock, the one in Nebraska.

Further Googling of "chimney rock Wyoming" then led me to another Chimney Rock, also in Wyoming.

And looking even harder it seems that at least one other person calls the thing I found "Chimney Rock" too.  That said, I'm still curious, does anyone know the official name for this landmark?

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-22 15:27:48

Well the one in Nebraska was originally called "Elk Penis".

But yeah, when the news article came out recently that Obama named Chimney Rock a national site or whatever because of immense spiritual significance to native tribes I was all confused because I didn't know about the Wyoming one and AFAIK the Nebraska one was just a landmark and an excuse to point and go "haha penis :DDDDD" until the Oregon Trailers found it.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Wait, which Chimney Rock are you talking about?  The one in Nebraska or one of the two in Wyoming?

Uh, that says Colorado.  I guess that's another one.

Though I can't really blame you for confusing Wyoming with Colorado; they kinda look similar.

• God dammit, there's another one?  FFFFUUUUUUUUUU

Yeah, would be really bad if they cut montana into a western part plus another rectangular state.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Question - do any of these rocks actually have smoke that comes out periodically? Or are they connected to the living rooms of yuppies who just wanted a fireplace to make the room look classy but never actually use?

Fuckin' yuppies, artificially inflating property values.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Fact: Wyoming, Wisconsin, and Colorado don't actually exist.

Additional Fact: None of these rocks seem very chimney-like to me. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, those rocks are pretty cool and all, but I'm not seeing chimneys.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-22 18:29:13

At least one of them is uncannily dick-like but the settlers didn't want to call it that on the map.

• a little muffled

Best fact: If you rearrange the syllables in Chimney Rock you get Romney Chick.

• So... he's a polygamist?

• They're somethin' else.

Brings to mind Oregon Trail.