If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Bans no longer show up on activity pages

edited 2012-10-22 05:15:50 in IJBM meta
(void)

Why was this change made?

Comments

• You can change. You can.

Probably one of Vanilla's updates. As for the reason why Vanilla updated with that particular notion in mind...no idea

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Unknown_Entity didn't want any evidence of his secret bans left behind. >:|

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

This happened with that big recent update.

Though, isn't this a good thing?  Prevents gravedancing.

• But you never had any to begin with.

It also prevents people knowing if someone was banned or left of their own accord.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Isn't their user role (i.e. status) visible?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Only if you go to their profile, and that doesn't tell you WHY they were banned.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Only if you go into their page directly.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Ok, let me rephrase that. It shouldn't be necessary for people to check user pages to check if a user is banned, rather than just checking the activity page. There's nothing to stop someone from gravedancing via a profile, due to the "Add comment" system, so it's not preventing anything anyway.

• edited 2012-10-22 11:37:56
    Has friends besides tanks now

Though, isn't this a good thing?  Prevents gravedancing.

Gravedancing should be prevented by not gravedancing (or, to be less tautological, by having rules against it). It's inconvenient to take pains to figure out why someone hasn't been posting lately, if they somehow missed that X person is banned. Thus why I've always noted why I've banned someone. Now I feel obliged to take it upon myself to mention that they were banned in the first place, and it's a little annoying, not to mention cosmetically unsound.

• No rainbow star
    Why not a banned list?
  • edited 2012-10-22 11:47:03

So as not to outright draw attention to every bad incident that we've had. If someone's banned, that's that. I wouldn't want to leave events ambiguous to the remaining userbase, but I don't necessarily want to draw unnecessary attention to that, either. It's not worth putting up a Bad Users List, when someone who's really curious as to why someone hasn't said anything for a while can look it up on their own. Posting bans to Recent Activity is mostly to tie up recent drama.

• We can still check individual user pages to see if they're banned. Nothing's really kept secret, so not really a problem.

The problem is more that you have to check in the first place. I mean, bans can happen and you can simply not notice someone was banned until you go "Hey, what if they were banned?" and check the page, which is not even necessarily the first assumption you would make. It's rather impractical.

(Assuming a scenario where none of the mods post on the Activity page about the ban itself)

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Assuming a scenario where none of the mods post on the Activity page about the ban itself

We definitely will be doing that if we don't find a way to fix this.

• Has friends besides tanks now

(Assuming a scenario where none of the mods post on the Activity page about the ban itself)

Until such a time when/if the Ban notification gets reinstated, I'll be sure to do that.

• No rainbow star
    Aaaaand misread Bans as Bees...

^^, ^: I'm aware. I'm just using that particular scenario to illustrate why there's a motivation to fix it.

• edited 2012-10-22 20:38:34

Huh. Didn't notice that CU ninja'd me.

I'd rather have the original Ban notification back, too, needless to say.

that's because you ninja'd yourself.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Dohohohoho