If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Ultima IV Diary

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Managed to kill some more Ettins and Daemons and stuff and get Mariah resurrected. Not much gold left, but no matter. Time to look into Paws.

(OOC Post)

Stopping for tonight. Turns elapsed: 17610.

(OOC: Or not)

I remembered seeing a small village near the Shrine of Sacrifice, so I traveled there. Not Paws, naturally. This one is called Vesper.

There, I managed to buy several magic keys. They can open any lock, but are one-use. Hopefully then I can get into the treasury and see what else is going on in Jhelom.

I also met some shepherds who escaped the destruction of Magincia. They told me that the Shrine of Humility is on the Northern shore of the Isle of the Abyss (which is Southeast of Britannia and not on my map) and that it's guarded by massive hordes of demons. I know where I'm going last.

Returned to Castle British. Through the locked door, I found not the treasury, but the court mage. He told me that to complete my quest, I would need to travel to the Lycaeum, Empath Abbey and Serpent's Castle and find people named Antos (must be a title) and ask of the Bell, Book and Candle. The Candle must be the Candle of Love from my earlier vision.

Searching the castle again, I found an empty room filled with guards. Realizing how odd that was, I was able to find a secret door to the treasury and the Rune of Spirituality.

I still have no idea where Paws is. I guess I'll head to Jhelom for now, then check out the Lycaeum, Empath Abbey and Serpent's Castle.

• edited 2012-10-26 01:02:55
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

In the locked-off room in Jhelom, I met a man named Lord Robert, who said I could ask someone named Nostro about the room, then let me through a secret door into a hidden passage in the city walls. The passages were blocked off with several force fields, but Mariah dispelled them with no difficulty. I met an imprisoned sorceress who asked if I had a ship. Nope, not helping criminals. I also met Nostro, who had been accidentally sealed in. In thanks for letting me go, he told me that I could find the Rune of Valor buried in one of the towers, and indeed I did find it under some loose bricks.

Of course, to get to the Shrine, I still need a ship. So...I guess I'll just head to the Shrine of Spirituality (through the gate of full moons. I think I know what that means), then move on to the places Lord British's mage told me to seek out and hope I find some other leads, because I am pretty much stuck otherwise.

• edited 2012-10-26 01:25:22

Went to the Shrine of Spirituality by traveling from the full moon gate to the full moon gate. There, I witnessed a vision, but did not attain partial avatarhood in the virtue. I was simply told to seek the white stone in the Serpent's Spine when the time came.

You know, come to think of it, I'm not sure I achieved partial avatarhood in Compassion either. After all, I saw a vision of a strange rune when I achieved it for Sacrifice, but the experience with Compassion was closer to the one just now. I should return to that shrine later.

Returned to Castle Britain and spoke to Seer Hawkwind to confirm my suspicions. I have successfully become a partial avatar in Sacrifice, but the only other Virtues I'm ready to embody are Humility and Valor. Naturally, I need a boat for both of these.

Journeyed to Empath Abbey. Brother Antos told me to ask the Ankh in the abbey about the Candle of Love. I did so, and it told me to seek out a bard hidden behind a secret passage. There didn't appear to be such a passage in the Abbey. The bards apparently hail from Britain; perhaps I should try there.

On the way back to Britain, I did some exploring. Guess what village I ran across.

Zair the Wise told me to seek his brother in the middle of Lock Lake to find out the word for the Abyss.

Barren, meanwhile, helped me find the rune in the hills around Paws.

Then I went to Britain. I actually did find a secret passage with a bard behind it, but he didn't know anything about the Candle of Love, which means I probably missed something at the Abbey. Whoops.

Anyway, I think I can see Lock Lake on the map, but I'm not sure how to find a ship to get into it.

(OOC Post)

Quitting for real now. Total moves thus far: 24675

Decided to revisit every coastal location in search of a ship. I was in luck (for certain values of luck) and was attacked by pirates outside Maginicia. We managed to drive them off and commandeer their vessel. Excellent.

We sailed West from there and found a place called Buccaneer's Den, where pirates dwell. I'd been told to ask there about the Skull of Mondain. I did, and what I learned is that to use it, other than to destroy it, is one of the greatest sins, and that all virtues would be locked off to whoever did so. Someone needs to get rid of that thing.

Sadly, the guy didn't know where it was.

The local shop offered to sell me a Sextant for nine hundred gold. I'd like that, but I really, really can't afford it.

On the way to the Shrine of Valor, I arrived at Serpent's Hold, a castle dedicated to courage. 

The trainer there was able to tell me that the stones I've been hearing about had to do with the altars in various dungeons. Apparently at the Altar of Courage, I'll need the red, orange, purple and white stones.

Apparently, the HMS Cape, which had a magical wheel to strengthen its hull, has sunk. A survivor of the ship told me that it was in the Cape of Heroes at the time. I should see if I can salvage the wheel.

Sister Antos (oh, so it's a family. Makes sense) was able to tell me of the Bell of Courage I would need to enter the Abyss. She told me that Garam, also in Serpent's Hold, knew where it was. I asked him, and he said I'd find it at see at Latitude N'A", Longitude L'A". I need that sextant.

Just realized that all of my gold is gone. Someone at Buccaneer's Den must have taken it from me.

Reached the Shrine of Valor. Meditating there, I was granted a vision of another rune. I feel I've successfully attained partial Avatarhood in Valor.

Decided to go to the Lycaeum next, to find out about the Book. On the way, I found the Wheel of the HMS Cape. Could come in handy.

On the way to the Lycaeum, I found the massive uncharted Isle of the Abyss and the Shrine of Humility. Remember how I said I would go there last because of the whole demon army thing? I decided I'd head there anyway. Big mistake. Big, big, big mistake. The demon army was...larger than anticipated. Things were actually going well until Mariah ran out of fireballs, and it soon became clear that our only option for survival was to flee. And flee. And flee. Sadly, the army caught up to us and killed us all. Fortunately, Lord British resurrected us, but now we're back at the castle and I seem to have lost my partial avatarhood in Valor thanks to all the fleeing. 

And, of course, I no longer have my ship.

Appropriately enough, the whole experience was very humbling.

On the plus side, Hawkwind told me that in addition to Humility, I'm now ready to meditate on Spirituality and Honor. I'll go ahead and travel to those shrines before I try to get another ship.

Traveled through the Gate of Full Moons and meditated at the shrine of Spirituality. Had a vision of a rune, so I feel I was successful.

Then I stopped by Minoc to buy some food. Along the way I went to the poorhouse to give out some money, and I found a man who said he'd committed an unspeakable sin. I asked him if this involved the Skull of Mondain, and he confirmed that he'd used it. He begged me to find and destroy it -- apparently it appears at latitude P'F", longitude M'F" on the darkest nights (I guess when the moons are both new?).

I really, really need that sextant.

Apparently nobody in Minoc sells trail rations, so I moved on to Jhelom. From there, I went to the Shrine of Honor and meditated successfully. The rune of honor kind of looks like an integral sign, and I am possibly the biggest nerd in history for saying that.

After that, I returned to Britain because Trinsic doesn't sell rations either. Hawkwind said I had now advanced enough in Compassion to meditate at that shrine.

Sadly, on my way there, we were set upon by ten demons which used magic to make us fall asleep so they could kill us. So we had to get resurrected again.

The good news is that after that, we were able to travel to the Shrine anyway and I attained partial avatarhood in Compassion.

So, where does that leave me on virtues:

Successful:

• Sacrifice

• Spirituality

• Honor

• Compassion

Still needed:

• Valor

• Justice

• Humility

• Honesty

I'll go talk to Hawkwind again and see how I'm shaping up on those. 

• edited 2012-10-26 15:28:13

(OOC Post)

Quitting now. Have to go to work soon. Turns elapsed: 33117.

• edited 2012-10-27 02:39:51

Traveled back to Empath Abbey and found a bard hiding behind the castle. Apparently, the Candle of Love can be found at a secret location just off of Lock Lake.

After exploring around Lock Lake for what must have been weeks, I had Mariah just start randomly teleporting us about until we found a small village called Cove.

It has a temple in it. I asked its Ankh about entering the Codex chamber. It gave me a full list of the requirements to do so:

• Be 8 parts Avatar.

• Have the key of 3 parts.

• Know the word of passage.

• Know the Pure Axiom.

I decided to ask around town for details about this.

A mage told me that if I was studying magic, I should search the new moon gate when the moons are both dark. Wasn't that second part the same condition to find the Skull of Mondain? Hmmm...

Found Zair's brother, who told me that the king of each virtue castle (Lycaeum, Empath Abbey and Serpent's Hold) can tell me a syllable of the Word of Passage.

Some mages explained to me that the axiom consists of Love, Courage and Truth and encompasses all things.

A talking seahorse (WTF) was able to tell me that the shrines of Honesty, Compassion and Valor can tell me the three steps to open the Abyss (I know the third is lighting the Candle of Love).

Traveled to the New Moon gate. Searched it at the new moon and found...actually not the Skull of Mondain. Just a black Stone.

You know, I still have no idea what the deal with these stones people keep talking about is. But now I have one, so...yay?

Anyway, then I traveled to Moonglow and restocked on alchemical supplies, then headed to the Lycaeum where I found the Book of Truth.

It was in the library.

Under "T."

I am not joking.

The Lycaeum also has a telescope. It can be used to look at various locations. Neat.

Also, its king was able to tell me a syllable of the word: "ver."

All in all, things are going pretty well right now.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I was in luck (for certain values of luck) and was attacked by pirates outside Maginicia. We managed to drive them off and commandeer their vessel. Excellent.

Is this a scripted event, or...?

(OOC Post)

It's a random encounter. They can attack you whenever you're on a coast, I think.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

And you can commandeer the ship of a random encounter?

I don't suppose you can do anything else within random encounters that you can't in most RPG's?

(OOC Post)

Basically, whenever you're on the overworld, you will sometimes see enemies that appear randomly. When you attack them or they attack you, it goes into a little mini-area where the fight plays out, then when it ends, you return to the overworld. In the case of being attacked by a ship full of pirates, the ship stays there after you kill them and you can commandeer it.

Aw, I was hoping that you could do more :(

(OOC Post)

Well, it is pretty good in terms of grid-based tactics, but otherwise, no.

Combat is actually kind of a secondary part of the game, more of an obstacle than a goal.

• edited 2012-10-27 19:30:42

Returned to Empath Abbey. Learned that one of the syllables is "amo."

I'm going to need a ship again soon.

Haven't been able to get a ship, but with some clever use of the Blink spell, I got to Serpent's Hold.

The last syllable in the word of passage is "cor."

Okay, so what order are they in?

There should be six options:

1. Veramocor

2. Vercoramo

3. Amovercor

4. Amocorver

5. Coramover

6. Corveramo

So...how do I figure out which it is? I mean, I guess I could try all of them, but I don't think that's how I should go about it. Maybe there will be a clue later on in my quest.

After restocking on reagents in Moonglow, I visited Hawkwind, who told me that I'm ready to meditate on Honesty and Justice. I'll start with Justice.

Traveled to both of those shrines, the latter through, say it with me, my favorite spell: Blink. The quest is going really, really well right now.

Returned to Britain to find that I'm ready to meditate on Valor again. Let's do this.

Okay, managed that. I've finished 7 of the 8 virtues.

So...that just leaves Humility.

Um.

You know what? I'm just going to travel around gathering as many companions as I can get, arm them to the teeth, train them a whole lot and then I'll give Humility another try.

Maybe while I'm at it I can try to figure out what the deal with the stone things is.

So. I currently have a party of seven:

Myself, a warrior

Julia, a tinker

Dupre, a paladin

Mariah, a mage

Shamino, a ranger

Jaana, a druid

Iolo, a bard.

I've almost completed the best affordable loadout I selected for the seven of us; all that remains in terms of that before I'm ready for the Humility shrine is some chainmail for Julia.

I would have bought that by now, but I also decided to grab a Sextant when I had the opportunity shortly after we managed to commandeer another pirate ship.

So while I'm gathering gold, I should look for the Bell of Courage at latitude N'A", longitude L'A", as well as Mondain's skull at latitude P'F", longitude M'F" on a moonless night.

I also really, really want to find an eighth party member; the profession I'm missing is Shepherd, which doesn't seem like much, but eight is an auspicious number, and Shepherds represent the humility I seek.

(OOC: This is pretty much what I've been up to for the last two days: recruiting people and grinding for money. Tomorrow, I'll make actual progress, hopefully.)

Managed to buy some chainmail for Julia, so the seven of us are all geared up (though I'll want a Shepherd and maybe a hundred Fireballs and Heal spells before I actually go for the Shrine).

Also, went out to sea and found the resting places of the Bell of Courage and Skull of Mondain, the latter of which I will be VERY careful with.

So...for the moment, I think I'll look into the Stones more.

Everything I've written down about them:

• The Yellow stone is somewhere called Despise.

• Orange stone (sacrifice) is used in the altar rooms of love and courage

• A skeleton can tell me about the Purple stone of Honor.

• White Stone has been removed from Hythloth (wherever that is) and I should ask about it at the tap in Trinsic.

• I was also told that the White Stone is in the Serpent's Spine, so presumably I can find Hythloth there?

• Red Stone is somewhere called Destard.

• Blue Stone is in a dungeon called Deceit

• The stones are somehow related to the altars in dungeons. The Altar of Courage requires the Red, Orange, Purple and White stones.

• I have the Black Stone.

Hmmm...for the moment, I guess the best start is to look for the White Stone.

Entered the dungeon Despise, which I found in the Serpent's Spine (so I guess I'm actually looking for the Yellow stone?) and started exploring it.

So far, that's going pretty well, but a few of the monsters there were poisonous, so I left and decided to return with more cure spells prepared. This time, I think I'll even keep a map.

Tried another trek into Despise. Things were going great until I ran into these horrible green imps that just grabbed our food supplies and ran. On the trek back to Britain, Iolo and Jaana starved to death and I had to resurrect them.

Though actually, when all was said and done, I have more gold than I went in with.

I might stock up on torches before going back, though. Wouldn't want to run out at the bottom of such an evil pit.

Took another shot at Despise. Made it to the bottom floor and back; no Stone in sight. I'll give the other stones a shot, then come back.

Went to Magincia, since that's the site where I'd be most likely to find a skeleton to ask about the Purple stone of Honor.

Found something even better: a skeleton who could tell me of a silver horn that allows passage through the demon army guarding the Shrine of Humility. He told me to ask another skeleton, Demitry, about it.

Demitry told me that I could learn more from the Queen of Love's lady in waiting. So, I'll have to stop by Empath Abbey.

Things kept getting better in Magincia when I found a shepherdess, Katrina, outside the walls. She's inexperienced in battle, but was willing to join me on my quest nonetheless.

I could not, however, find a skeleton to tell me of the Purple Stone.

Oh, well. I at least have a means of continuing my quest now.

Traveled to Empath Abbey and inquired about the Horn. Apparently a paladin named Malchor knows about it. I'm really getting the runaround here.

Went to Trinsic, since that's where paladins are, for the most part. Found a skeleton hiding in its woods. The skeleton told me that I could find the purple stone of honor in the dungeon Shame, and could use it at altar rooms of Love and Courage.

Couldn't find anyone at the tap to ask about the White Stone, but given that I already know it's somewhere in the Serpent's Spine, I'm not entirely sure I need to.

Well, anyway, I didn't find Malchor at Trinsic. So I returned to Empath Abbey, and apparently I'm stupid, because there he was. He told me that the horn was buried on a small island off the tip of Spiritwood.

Well, time to go get my ship again.

Finding the horn was simple enough. One of the smallest islands had a bit of soil that looked loose, so I tried digging there and found the Silver Horn.

Well, I journeyed to the big volcanic island again. When I saw the demon army, I blew the horn and they dispersed.

Well, I've visited all the shrines and demonstrated an understanding of the 8 virtues.

So, let's go back over the requirements to enter the Stygian Abyss:

• Be 8 parts Avatar: Done.

• Have the key of 3 parts: Not done. If I had to guess, that's what the deal with using the stones at the altars of Truth, Love and Courage is.

• Know the word of passage: Narrowed down to six options.

• Know the Pure Axiom: I think I kind of have a general understanding of it (truth+love+courage, encompasses all things)

I'm apparently also supposed to know the three steps to open it. The third is lighting the Candle of Love at its entrance. Apparently, I can learn the others by meditating at the shrines of Honesty and Valor. So I guess I could go ahead and do that.

Traveled to the Shrine of Honesty. On the way, I found a dungeon called Deceit, which I'd heard about and will need to enter. But...I don't have quite as much food as I took for Despise, and I really don't want to do that right now. I'll return.

Meditating on Honesty, I received a vision:

Second, read the Book of Truth at the entrance to the Great Stygian Abyss!

Onward to Valor.

(OOC Post)

Quitting for the night. Turns elapsed: 74631.

Went to the Shrine of Valor. Was granted another vision:

First, ring the Bell of Courage at the entrance to the Great Stygian Abyss!

Process of elimination pretty much led me to guess that already, but confirmation is already good.

So...at this point, I really just need that Key of Three Parts. And if I'm right, I will need all of the Stones to get it.

I guess I could take a shot at Deceit, where I should find the Blue stone.

After some extensive exploration in Deceit, I found an altar with a Blue Stone on it.

Okay, so it's clear that the stones relate to the virtues. A list of the stones:

• Black -- virtue unknown -- owned.

• Blue -- virtue unknown -- owned.

• Yellow -- virtue unknown -- in Despise.

• White -- virtue unknown -- in Serpent's Spine.

• Red -- virtue unknown -- in Destard.

• Purple -- honor -- in Shame.

• Orange -- sacrifice -- location unknown

Furthermore, stones are used at specific altars. The altars relate to the principles of Truth, Love and Courage.

• Truth -- 

• Love -- 

• Courage -- red, orange, purple, white.

Hmmm...if each virtue has its own stone, then the stones would be used at the altars for their associated principles.

Thus:

• Truth -- Honesty, Honor (purple), Justice, Spirituality

• Love -- Compassion, Justice, Sacrifice (orange), Spirituality

• Courage -- Valor, Honor (purple), Sacrifice (orange), Spirituality.

Okay, so that leaves Valor and Spirituality as Red and White.

The colors have to have some sort of significance. So...what if the stone's color represented the combination of principles used to create it?

Courage would clearly be red, since purple and orange both have Red as a component. Since the orange stone is used at the altar of Love, Love must be Yellow, while Truth must be Blue. Spirituality, used at each altar, must be white, and Humility, which isn't directly inspired by a principle, must be black.

We can extrapolate from this:

• Black -- Humility -- owned.

• Blue -- Honesty -- owned.

• Yellow -- Compassion -- In Despise.

• White -- Humility -- in Serpent's Spine.

• Red -- Valor -- in Destard.

• Purple -- Honor -- in Shame.

• Orange -- Sacrifice -- unknown location.

• Green -- Justice -- unknown location.

The fact that the Stone of Compassion is in Despise (a dungeon representing the opposite of Love), the stone of Honesty was in Deceit (opposite of Truth) and Honor is in Shame (opposite of Honor) indicates that our speculation seems to check out.

Okay, so there are two Stones I don't know where to find. I should inquire about the Orange Stone in Minoc and the Green stone in Yew.