If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

'Character X is whiny'

GAPGAP
edited 2012-09-30 03:39:33 in General

This sin't limited to mael cahracters but iot seems that when a character shows evne the slightest hints of angst, they accused of being whiny. Whining is good on some level as it allows you to vent some frustration but in real life you don't really whine as much as the fioctional characters do. Whiny is an emotion however I do agree that complaining too much is counterproductive. What bothers me that if the character jsut happens to be even remotely human or show any form of weakness, they accused of being of whiny and the fandom is all over the character as if it is their only emotion. If the character isn't some stoic, unrealistic badass anti hero with a larger-than-life anti personality, they are just whiny characters who just die in a fire. Does this annoy you too?

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Pardon?

• Definitely not gay.

...While I am all too aware that fandoms are mostly comprised of raging idiots, I think that this may be taking it a bit too far.

I really haven't seen this effect outside of maybe the Naruto fandom. 

• You can change. You can.

Jellyon's fandom complaining of a certain Shinji Ikari comes to mind. 

• but in real life you don't really whine as much as the fioctional characters do

Saywut

Anyway my guess is:
    "It's fiction, therefore something that you do not like watching lowers the entertainment value, which is not something that should be inserted because it does not have to" (being fiction)

Not like I haven't met too few people that act the same way towards actual humans in front of them, but I guess that people bitch about it more on fiction because they don't think they can influence how much of the whiny they have to put up with...? I'm not sure really.

• edited 2012-09-30 10:50:47

Jellyon's fandom complaining of a certain Shinji Ikari comes to mind.

There was a screencap of a post from /a/ that showed how wrong this sentiment was... I should've saved it.

There are certain characters that are whiny, for sure, but even then, I don't see it necessarily as a bad thing. Ziggy was a great character, not despite, but because of his whininess.

There was a screencap of a post from /a/ that showed how wrong this sentiment was... I should've saved it.

This sentiment being...?

Anyway, I think that the issue is when "whininess" comes to define a character rather than just be a character trait. But I think that applies to almost all character traits, except for really vague stuff like "badass" or whatever.

• edited 2012-09-30 12:43:34

This sentiment being...?

Shinji being whiny, or, to use 4chan's favourite buzzword of the year, beta.

Anyway, I think that the issue is when "whininess" comes to define a character rather than just be a character trait.

In theory, yes. But people react disproportionately negatively to "whininess". Going back to the The Wire example, many people decry season 2 as the worst one, citing Ziggy as one of the reasons, despite him being an interesting and well developed character, because he was annoying and whiny. This in a show where people get to sympathize with pretty much every character, including incompetent cops, corrupt politicians and ruthless gangsters... except Marlo, fuck Marlo.

• Marlo is rather flat as a character but calling Ziggy whiny as if it were his only emotion is a stretch. Why is it that when a character behaves a certain way, they are often called 'whiny'?

• edited 2012-09-30 13:24:33
    Tableflipper

The same reason why certain people on the internet that get off on upset reactions from others are simplified into trolls?

The same reason why death penalty supporters tend to be hastily branded as psychopaths?

The same reason why butter is considered super unhealthy on the basis of it stereotypically containing too much fat (or was it something else that kept people away, I don't remember)?

"Jumping to conclusions" is something humans are pretty good at doing from what i've observed.

• edited 2012-09-30 13:33:49
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    > butter is considered super unhealthy on the basis of it stereotypically containing too much fat (or was it something else that kept people away, I don't remember)?

It basically is fat. And a lot of the time, it's got salt in it, which doesn't help.

I mean, if you eat reasonable quantities of it it isn't so bad, but it is pretty unhealthy.
  • edited 2012-09-30 13:35:50
    a little muffled

dude

butter is literally fat

edit: ninja'd

• I could have sworn that butter was made by shaking milk a whole lot or something (in the case it is I don't know how it turns into something 99% to 100% fat unless milk itself is also considered 99% to 100% fat)

And a lot of the time, it's got salt in it

no wonder why I like eating it

• edited 2012-09-30 13:42:52
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    That is how you make it. The process separates the fat from the milk, and the fat is made into butter.
  • oic

there happens to be some people that adore the stuff though

http://butterbeliever.com/2011/06/13/butter-is-better/

should that link go into the Draco in Leather Pants thread?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Wut.
  • Judging by her outlandish attire she's some sort of free-thinking anarchist

Butter is better, but only because margarine's some minor fuckery away from being plastic. 

http://i.imgur.com/DCmEa.png <- I don't know how to make linktext here yet, but this is relevant. 

There we go.

• They're somethin' else.

Welp, Rebuild Shinji's just generically awesome compared to vanilla Shinji, now isn't he?

• That's the one.

• ^^ Rebuild everyone is just generic compared to regular whoever.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-09-30 20:30:57

I always liked the Shinji rant :)

I don't mind when characters angst, I just mind when they angst disproportionately.  Like, the NGE crew went through so much shit that all bets were off.

Someone like Sean from Mega Man Battle Network, for instance, not so much.  "Look at me, I'm an orphan.  Obviously the fluke accident that caused that means the world is an unsalvageable mess of organized crime syndicates.  I'm going to prove this by making the most offhandedly murderous one of all myself and trying repeatedly to kill the guy who successfully dismantled the last mob, as well as all of his friends, all while setting myself up to die in methods of increasing gruesomeness and collateral mass destruction."  You know what, dipshit?  The entire main cast is grade schoolers who've had multiple murder attempts made on themselves and their families.  Right after I beat your ass down, I met a terminally ill kid confined to a goddamn wheelchair who usurped another underworld so he could keep it in check and use it to save the world in a pinch.  Shut up and get some goddamn therapy.