If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Tech Support: Fuschlatz' computer used to be in a coma, and even now it still can't load FreeBSD

edited 2012-09-30 21:35:51 in Meatspace
A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I've recently been looking for something I could install FreeBSD onto, and I've kept hitting nothing but dead ends. My mum's old netbook seemed like a good choice at first, but the battery is fried and we can't find the power adapter. I then tried using my computer to install FreeBSD on a flash drive, but that kept failing because the installer somehow did not have the permissions necessary to format a flash drive for hosting an OS.

I eventually settled on trying to install FreeBSD to an empty 100-gig partition of my hard drive, left over from when I used to have a Windows/Ubuntu dual-boot instead of just Windows. Things seemed to be somewhat successful, until I restarted the computer and it said "Missing operating system" first thing after the initial setup. I should've realised that unlike the Ubuntu installer, bsdinstall doesn't automatically set up a custom bootloader such as GRUB for you, and this negligence caused me to leave bsdinstall alone with the boot sector. bsdinstall's subsequent actions mean that not only can I not load FreeBSD, but I can no longer boot into Windows either, and without any other operating systems installed I am now unable to use my computer at all.

UPDATE: I am now able to use Windows again, but only Windows. This should be (ahem) adequate for the time-being, but I have installed FreeBSD onto my computer and I'm damned if I don't want the ability to use it, people. According to the readout from the program I used to fix the bootloader, it was completely incapable of recognising the FreeBSD partition for what it was, and so it didn't bother adding a FreeBSB boot option because of course it had no way of knowing that this was what I wanted.

Please help me, if you can?

Comments

• edited 2012-09-30 05:14:04

Aren't there live CD distros you can use to set up GRUB?

I know I've used one before when I accidentally overwrote GRUB with Windows 7's bootloader...

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    I've been considering one of those, yes, and I still have access to at least two computers with the capabilities to burn a live CD, but... is the installation process going to be super-complicated?

I should mention that I have already tried to fix the boot sector using a Windows 7 installation disc, and the usual methods didn't seem to work this time.
  • The installation process for a live-CD is pretty simple.

• edited 2012-09-30 06:45:37
    Oh sorry, but I was referring to the process of installing GRUB onto my computer's hard drive and setting it up so it can actually load Windows and/or FreeBSD.
  • edited 2012-09-30 06:48:59
    (void)

Oh, that shouldn't be hard either.  Actually, I think modern versions of GRUB can detect your OSes automatically on installation.

• edited 2012-09-30 09:06:59

Like I said, a few months back I reinstalled Windows on one of my partitions and it overwrote GRUB with Windows' own bootloader. All I had to do to be able to boot my Ubuntu partition again was download a minimalistic live CD called "Boot Repair" (it's from Ubuntu, but GRUB is GRUB) and it automatically detected what OS is on which partition and set up GRUB.

It was as close to painless as anything Unix-related can be.

• edited 2012-09-30 11:26:02
    Okay, I'll try that tomorrow.

I would do it right now, but it's half past 1 and I need some time to calm down after what Steven Moffat just did.
  • edited 2012-09-30 20:00:56

Okay. Since it seems I don't even need a dedicated recovery system to use Boot-Repair, I just ran it on a Natty Narwhal live CD I had lying around. It seems to have worked out... alright — I can boot into Windows, but Windows only, and it doesn't seem to have ever installed GRUB because I don't see any menu screen between the BIOS and Windows. I'm pretty much back to square one, and although I guess that'll do for the time being I would still like to have access to the FreeBSD installation on my hard drive...

If anyone feels like reading the specifics about what Boot-Repair did: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1252901/