If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

And the award for funniest trope name goes to:

edited 2012-09-25 15:23:25 in IJAM

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Thanks for leading me to this page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PerishingAltRockVoice

Is "perishing alt rock voice" the voice with which The Fray's "How to save a life" is sung?

Because if it is, I just found one of my least favorite popular music tropes.

• ^Okay, that one's also a gem. "Nose Yodeling" still wins for me due to the way the words actually sound, but "British Frozen Rocks with Penguins and Landmines" is certainly a close second.

• Nice Job Breaking It, Herod will forever be my favourite.

Also, what's with TVT being brought up unusually often recently?

• They're somethin' else.

Wave of Babies.

"Um... what?!" given page form.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

@GMH: The "perishing indie/alt-rock voice" is definitely a thing, but it comes in a number of flavours. The most common is the ragged Kurt Cobain wannabe growl, though the weary Radiohead imitator mumble is also pretty common. The Fray are halfway between the two.

• edited 2012-09-26 15:19:45
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Unfortunately, I haven't listened to enough indie rock/alt-rock to know what you're talking about off the top of my head.  I just know that the one thing I like least about "How to Save a Life" is how the singer sings--it's the thing that makes me not want to listen to it, to the point where I've praised covers that have less of that effect--and while I call it "lazy singing" (the voice sounds lazy, not saying that the singer is actually lazy himself), I've been curious if there's a term for that, so that I can say such-and-such is what I like or dislike more clearly.

• Wave of Babies.

"Um... what?!" given page form.

Good times.

It appears to be a more-common-than-not particular strain of WTFness.

• a little muffled

@Stormtroper: Nice Job Breaking It Herod is one of my least favourite trope titles in practice (or was when I cared about such things), what with being incredibly easy to misread as a far more common trope.

It is a nice pun, I will admit.

• edited 2012-09-26 20:40:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, it's a nice pun but a bad trope name.

Unfortunately, trope name creators don't seem to have a good sense of utility...

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BritishFrozenRocksWithPenguinsAndLandmines 

Wow, if I still cared about TV Tropes, I would be taking that right to the TRS.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Wave O' Babies is probably my favourite, followed by Negative Space Wedgie, Recycled IN SPACE, Giant Space Flea From Nowhere, Happy Fun Ball, Maximum Fun Chamber and Timey Wimey Ball.

I actually think that Nice Job Breaking It, Herod is a better trope name than people here are giving it credit for, in that it manages to use the pun in its title to actually describe itself fairly accurately. The main problem is that you have to think about it for a second for the implication to fully stick, which I suppose is a problem if your sole goal is conveying the concept directly.

• edited 2012-09-26 21:40:52

This is quickly turning into a TRS thread, so, I dunno, let's praise something else instead.

Edit: Nevermind that one.

• a little muffled

@JHM: My issue, mainly is that if you're scrolling through a trope list the chance of misreading it is high.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

I get what you mean, but I disagree. Last letters register more strongly than the order of the interior letters in a word, particularly if it's five letters or more in length. "Herod" breaks into that length realm from "hero" in a way that makes the two easier to differentiate than a one-letter difference might suggest.

Couldn't "recycled IN SPACE" just be "InSpace"?

And the Falkland Islands one...just be "TheFalklandIslands"?

• JHMJHM
    edited 2012-09-26 23:50:41
    Here, There, Everywhere

^ I like capitalising and bolding/small-capitalising IN SPACE.

• You can change. You can.

I'm kinda offended by the Falklands page but I can't quite formulate why I find it so.

Are you Argentinian?

• You can change. You can.

Complicated. But let's go with...sorta?

Fair enough; that's reason enough to have beef with an article on that I guess.