If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I get home late and waste lots of time.

edited 2012-09-15 05:20:25 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So here's the problem.

My schedule results in me regularly getting home between 10 PM and midnight.

What I should do after I get back: shower, eat, do a little homework, and go to sleep, preferably by 1 or 2 AM.

What I actually do after I get back: recognize hunger, make or heat food, eat and catch up with online communications, attempt to organize papers, attempt to do a little homework, get distracted by online communications, watch some Youtube videos, have a few conversations, maybe play games or watch/listen to entertainment media a little bit, realize it's past 1 or 2 or 3 AM, tell myself to shower, continue to be distracted, realize it's 4 or 5 AM, realize that my whole next day's morning is shot yet again, take a shower, maybe waste a little more time, go to sleep.

Comments

• a little muffled

Yup.

• When that happened to me during my internship, I eventually got used to sleeping much less.

• edited 2012-09-15 16:14:42
    Loser

Glennmagusharvey,

Is it possible for you to do more of your homework during the day so you have less of it to do when you get back? I am not sure that is really helpful advice (it is probably a little obvious), but I figure that trying to be more productive late at night will likely not work so well. If you can find some time during the day to do more work with fewer distractions, you might be able to use your time at home just for online stuff without feeling like you wasted it.

Of course, I struggle with time management too, so it is not like I am an expert on this. Still, I hope you can figure out a way to have a more regular sleep schedule. Waking up tired day after day is not very fun.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What would be ideal is if I could get an office or cubicle on campus.  Then I could actually shove most of my books and papers there, if not also my computer, and then have a real excuse to get the frack out of my apartment ASAP after waking up, and to get to sleep ASAP after getting back, since there's absolutely no reason to expect to get anything done.

But in the absense of that, I haven't exactly worked out whether I get my stuff done here in the apartment or somewhere on campus, and if it's somewhere on campus, I have to find some place on campus to get stuff done--it's not like I can just sit in my car in the parking lot and work.  So basically I have to go find a study space or lounge somewhere, and then get set up.

A problem with that is that very soon I become hungry and I think about more planning and looking for food and asking myself whether it's worth spending $6 on a late lunch and so forth.

Since my food stock is at my apartment, well, maybe it's for the better that I just stay home for now anyway.

• a little muffled

Can't you just bring food with you? Surely there's somewhere on campus with study carrels where food is allowed.

• edited 2012-09-15 20:26:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The problem isn't bringing food with me; it's preparing food to bring with me--both getting enough food ready and then putting it into containers and such and then also wondering whether I should lug a plastic bag with me around campus or lug my oversized cooler around or keep it in the cooler in my car or something.

If I wanna just get into my work for several hours at a time--just "fire and forget"--I might as well bring a feast with me, or at least lots of water.

• edited 2012-09-15 21:13:15
    Loser

Going off what Nyktos said, why not just bring a bag lunch with a sandwich and a water bottle and stuff? You could also buy a decent insulated lunch box too if you want to pack in some other things.