If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I try to do too much with my time

edited 2012-09-14 05:48:32 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I seem to plan too many things for a given amount of time, even though I plan things because it's possible to get them done within a given amount of time.

Take, for example, the following.

Tomorrow, I have a class that starts at 13:30 and before that I need to buy lunch and eat lunch.

The place where I get lunch is a ten-minute drive plus five-minute walk from class, so let's say that I have to leave the restaurant at 13:15 at the latest.  It'll take me at least 15 minutes to eat lunch so if I want to sit down on campus to have lunch, let's say I do that between driving and walking to class.  Walking to class starts at 13:25, so let's back that up to 13:10.  I need to drive to campus from 13:00 to 13:10.  That means I need to finish buying lunch at 13:00.  It takes about 10 minutes for lunch to be made by the restaurant (faster if I order by phone ahead of time), so that means I need to get to the restaurant at 12:50.  It takes five minutes to drive from where I'm staying to the restaurant, so that means I need to leave here at 12:45.  Also, during the time I'm waiting for my meal--let's say 5 minutes within the whole 10-minute segment--I might be able to read a couple pages of the textbook that I'm drastically behind on already, for the class at 13:30.  By 12:45 I will need to pack everything up and be ready to go.  Let's say it takes 5 minutes to order my lunch ahead of time (including picking out the entree and making the phone call).  So let's say I do that at 12:40.  Before that I'm packing everything up.

And so on.

Now if you add in pretty much any delay, I'm late, which causes me to be late way too often.  But it seems like wasted time if I give myself more time--not to mention that, especially if I've been up late, I'll already have been trying to maximize my sleeping time so I'll be getting up late and I have little time to work with anyway.  Though if you go that far back, you might notice this is a delayed-consequence problem.

Comments

• I sympathize, OP. Do you also habitually look at your watch/clocks/cell for the time? This OCD habit even got the better of me in the bedroom once.

Also, Facebook>Recommended Events and the billboard in the uni are the bane of my existence.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I don't habitually look at the time; it's more like I haven't developed that habit, because you really need that sort of habit to keep up this sort of packed pace, and I easily lose track of the time when I'm doing one thing or another.