If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Whelp, looks like I'm moving out soon

edited 2012-09-12 02:18:22 in Meatspace
No rainbow star

I've been biding my time to wait for my uncle to get here as, well, I can't get the money to move out (When $1000 seems like a lot of money to gain in a year based on your current job experience, you know you can't move out yet. Also, waiting for him seems, in retrospect, a fools errand as he can't sell his house for the life of him. It's like he's self sabotaging on purpose)

However, it looks like the feelings I've had about my parents are mutual, and they want me out of the house. They are willing to help me find ways to make it as cheap as possible and get things like government help so that I'm not homeless, but I'd be shocked if I had more than six months left before, home found or not, I'm kicked out

So, uh, halp?

Comments

• edited 2012-09-12 02:21:08
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Dumpster Diving, garage sales, craigslist, ramen, petty theft except not the last one. 

Also the temptation to eat out is a big one. "It's just ten dollars" here and there but it adds up. 

• edited 2012-09-12 02:25:09
    No rainbow star

^ Ironically, one of the reasons they want to make me move out is to socialize

Which costs money

Money I don't have

Their brilliant plan has flaws

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

For each dollar that you spend, try to make sure that you have put away at least fifty cents. This adds up as well.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Also, hard rubbish nights are a great source of potentially usable goods. I helped a friend who was homeless for a few months, and we managed to rustle up some furniture and even electronics for his squat. Ramen's certainly a good idea, but also remember to have a good supply of vegetables to boil up with it. Tea's healthier than coffee, too, so I'd recommend using that as your warm drink. 

Familiarity with any public transport where you're going to be staying is a must, of course, and you should check out the job situation. Income is only one element of it -- establishing a social circle is a good way to shield yourself somewhat from the sense of alienation living away from home can bring at first. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Other questions; how exactly does one go about moving to a different city? (Sorry for the thread hijack here, Icalasari. It's something I've been wondering about for weeks now.)

I mean, I'm looking at moving to a different city. Only, I have no idea how to actually go about it. I need to get both a house and a job there, but... to get a house, I need a job to pay for it. But to get a job, I need a house to stay in while I go to job interviews and so on. And from what I remember, it even takes time to find a house, and you need to go up there and talk to the real estate, be shown around the house, etc.

I don't know how to do it :|

• edited 2012-09-12 02:34:51
    No rainbow star

^^ Hard rubbish nights? And yeah, I prefer tea over coffee for the most part - I only drink coffee when I need sleep badly (I love my ADHD. Thank god I seem to be mostly functional without my meds. Not sure if I could even afford them, a place to live, classes, and food)

^^^ I can do that

• I'm a damn twisted person

Nova <-- Not sure how much this will be applicable to you, but last year when I wanted to move from Phoenix to Milwaukee I, I started looking for apartments that were for rent online through stuff like craigslist. After I had picked out about 10 I felt pretty sure were worth looking at and in my price range I called all of these places and asked to schedule a viewing on a certain weekend. Then I took that weekend off to travel to Milwaukee and look at the places and see which one I liked best.

There really is no easy way to find a job first, since you need to put down an address on any application or resume you fill out. The only thing I can think of is seeing if your library has a transfer program/can put in a good word for you somewhere else. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Well, issue is, if I try to find a house first, how am I going to pay rent?

• I'm a damn twisted person
    File for unemployment benefits, save up money for a few months rent are the most sensible options really.

Yeah, they're the most sensible options. It doesn't mean it's like... easy or anything, though. And it's time-consuming when I want to move out like, next month :(

• No rainbow star

I still have no idea how I'd be able to get enough money to afford a place. I may not qualify for the disability stuff, and even if I do, I'm not sure if I can live off of that and manage classes x.x

That's where you look for a job, man.

• No rainbow star

^ My resume is not that impressive. I might get a job right away (in which case ^o.o^) or it could take quite a while, in which case how do I manage to stay afloat?

Speak to your teachers and explain the situation to them. They should be able to help you out with managing your course fees as you try to find your feet and get a job.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Random observation: ^o.o^ could either be a person raising their hands and going "woo!" or a very happy person bearing very small spectacles.

• No rainbow star

^ I'm not even sure... what to say about that

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Do you have friends you could stay with?

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^ Sorry. I thought that a bit of levity was in order.

• No rainbow star

^^ Trying to contact one. But pretty much no

^ I just... How do you know the spectacle person is happy?

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

The carets represent eye-crinkling, the dot a tiny smile.

• No rainbow star

Ah, ok then