If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Launches of satellites into space don't get the publicity of launching human-ferrying vehicles

edited 2012-09-06 13:44:15 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I just noticed that there are a lot of satellites up there that we take for granted (weather satellites, GPS satellites, etc.) and I've never heard about them getting up there.

On the other hand people have an implicit assumption these days that NASA is sitting around doing nothing because they're not launching space shuttles and doing spacewalks and stuff.

In an article about scientists heading out to the ocean to study ocean salinity and now that affects the global water cycle, there's this quote:

NASA's eye in the sky, Aquarius, a salinity-monitoring satellite launched in June 2011.

...I never heard about this launch!

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I just noticed that there are a lot of satellites up there that we take for granted (weather satellites, GPS satellites, etc.) and I've never heard about them getting up there.

There are a lot of them, and they don't really get news ratings like human spaceflight and missing white women do.

people have an implicit assumption these days that NASA is sitting around doing nothing because they're not launching space shuttles and doing spacewalks and stuff

Um...didn't they just get a huge amount of publicity over Curiosity?

• There is love everywhere, I already know

didn't they just get a huge amount of publicity over Curiosity?

Funny story about that. I was watching the news the other day and they were talking about how the landing was overtaken by one really hot guy scientist. They proceeded to talk about him and social media for way longer than they ever talked about the actual rover.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

It's not like they are not mentioned at all, they just tend to be events that classify along the lines of "business as usual, nothing to see here", I'd say.