If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My new phone is almost completely strictly worse than my old one

edited 2012-09-02 18:42:14 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

1. Touchscreen interface makes accessing all basic functions--such as dial pad and speakerphone--slower than on my old phone (which had physical buttons for these).

2. Battery life is much shorter.  It doesn't even give me enough time to finish a call when it says low battery.  Battery sometimes dies within a night--as in, low battery signal doesn't get activated until after I go to sleep, and then it's dead by the time I wake up.

3. Lack of album-playing option.

4. Audio jack has no protective cover.

5. Phone does not produce a sound when a call ends or is dropped.  (My previous phone did.  This feature is really, really useful when you have a weak signal...which, for me, is very often.)

6. Custom ringtone plays at much lower volume, for unknown reason.

In return it grants these benefits:

1. Ability to seek within a music track.

2. Retains custom ringtone even when SD card is removed.

3. Keyboard has separate number row.  But...

* You can use that as a numeric keypad substitute when on the phone, but it unlocks the screen and now your cheek can cause the call to drop by hovering over "End Call".

* It's awkward to hold.

* If you had a physical numeric keypad in the first place, you wouldn't need to use this!  And a proper numeric keypad is easier to use because you can feel the locations of the buttons more easily anyway.

And this isn't even blaming the new phone for erasing my photos.

Comments

• Yeah, I'm not sold on smartphones either.  I have no need or use for their extraneous features, and the horrifyingly short battery life just kills it for me altogether.  I'm used to my phone lasting a week or more on a charge, and I don't need it to be anything more than a goddamn phone.

• edited 2012-09-02 19:21:56

This isn't even a smartphone.  It's a messaging phone.  My previous one was too.  Doesn't prevent the battery life from lasting only two or three days or so, though.

• Try tinkering with profile settings.  I remember my brick had a shitty battery life until I turned off a lot of the default bells and whistles like the screen saver and some of the timed display stuff.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Problem number 7 (an extension of problem 1): There's no way to go to speakerphone when starting a call; it has to be activated separately.

Correction: You can.  But you have about one second of a window in which to do it.

I was just now on the phone.  Low battery warning pops up.  10 seconds later it pops up again.  10 seconds later, right as I'm hanging up, it shuts down.

Also, I had unlocked the screen in order to turn on/off the speakerphone feature.  At one point I'd turned it back off, and was using it in headset mode.  Then suddenly, the other person couldn't hear me.  Why?  My cheek had touched the "Mute" button on the touchscreen.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Incidentally, what model is your phone?

LG Rumor Reflex.

This is worse even than my parents' old LG Rumor Touch.  Longer battery life, easier access to SD card, and pressure-based touchscreen (rather than capacitance-based).

My old phone was a Samsung Restore.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

and pressure-based touchscreen (rather than capacitance-based).

Wait what? Capacitance based touchscreens are almost universally better than resistive because it's possible to do precision tasks without some sort of stylus.  

• edited 2012-09-09 12:39:54

Yes, admittedly, it's easier to hit the smaller features, which comes up when I'm listening to music (which is rare since this phone doesn't have an album-playing feature) and to go from history to call in one touch rather than two.

That said, with the old phone, as long as I don't press it against my face, nothing happens even if the keyguard is down.

Speaking of history, this phone only has five days of history apparently.

Also, for what it's worth, my new phone and my old phone are both awkward to hold.  The best one in this regard is my parents' old LG Rumor Touch, which had a rubber-ish casing you could very easily grasp.

But this current phone is especially awkward because the touchscreen is so sensitive and you need to be very careful not to touch the screen after, say, finishing a call...lest you immediately call someone else by mistake.  So you have to be extra careful to handle it only on the sides.