If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Doctor Who

edited 2012-09-01 19:55:15 in Media
a little muffled

Probably we have a thread for this somewhere, but I don't feel like looking for it.

I want to talk about the new episode but I don't even know if anyone's seen it. Or, for that matter, if anyone's even watching.

Comments

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Watching but I have to find a place to get it myself. I'm one of those kooky folks who bought most of the reboot episodes.
  • No rainbow star
    I'm waiting for the new episode to get online
  • a little muffled

Define "online". It's certainly available in torrents.

• No rainbow star

The new season's first episode is already available?

Now to find it...

• a little muffled

Well, on not-new-episode topics, I recently decided to try and get into some old series stuff, and watched the Third Doctor stories "Spearhead from Space" and "Inferno". I quite enjoyed both, especially the latter. I kind of wonder if the alternate universe in that one was meant to be the same one that was visited in the new series. We saw very little of the one in "Inferno", but they both did have the UK as a republic (which is admittedly like the easiest way to make an alternate universe UK seem different).

• edited 2012-09-01 22:15:00
    No rainbow star

I loved the newest episode (the Dalek Asylum one). Sad that Oswin died like that, though. It would have been interesting for the Oncoming Storm to have a Dalek as a companion

• a little muffled

Well she's played by the same actress as the next companion. No way to know yet if there's any relation between the characters though.

The one thing I didn't like about this episode was that it really should've been a Cybermen episode. "Converting" people is their whole thing.

• edited 2012-09-01 23:26:24
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Here's my thoughts. Spoilers abound. 

^I think it's both a part of the idea that the Daleks are being humanized now and instead of being a nazi metaphor, they're a religious extremism metaphor.

I was hoping they were doing something that amounted to the Doctor having made the Daleks more 'human' by teaching them to feel fear but the end of the episode put a kibosh on that theory.

• You can change. You can.

I honestly felt that this was considerately funnier in comparison to season 6 where I felt that Moffat had lost his original wit and charm. With that said, that Eleven line will never not make me think of Spinal Tap. Never. And I admit that early on, a lot of it felt like trying to shock me into digging the episode. But Oswin really made the episode for me. I was sorta sad that she wasn't going to be the new companion and the ending really hit that note harder to me because the why is...ouch. 

Also, I find it funny that you said that they're no longer a nazi metaphor. Mostly cuz the first thing my sister said was "So the Daleks are space nazis" in reference to the concentration camp bit. 

I sorta felt that the episode could have used more...oomph, if you will, though. I mean, this is an episode about the Doctor breaking and entering one of the most dangerous planets in the universe. But I liked it overall and I'm optimistic about season seven, now. Hopefully, this won't lead to the same results that happened after I was excited about season six.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Yeah, it definitely lacked gravity. I think a big part of that is how big the doctor's gotten. In the new series the universe ending is Tuesday for him.

• No rainbow star
    Considering the only other episodes I've seen are 42 (the one with the talking star) and part two and three of the end of the Bad Wolf arc, I'm seeing this more with the perspective of someone new to Doctor Who
  • edited 2012-09-02 15:33:43
    a little muffled

If you can, I'd definitely recommend watching the last two seasons at least. Give some background.

• edited 2012-09-02 15:48:13
    Diet NEET

The eggs-stir line kinda ruïned the impact of the moment for me(yes, I am now actually watching instead of reading the wiki summaries for a series to be able to talk about it. Good job, me).