If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

House: Why do people like this show?

GAPGAP
edited 2012-08-29 22:56:27 in General

You know House is a jerkass doctor who seems to enjoy breaking people down and getting on the nerves of his peers/enemies yet we are supposed to sympathize witht he poor guy. House basically does what most doctors wish they could do but can't due to ethical, legal and moral reasons yet he gets the job done.  His motto is basically, "Everybody lies" and unfortunately, almost all his patients lie to him in some capacity and it usually bites them in the ass. I hate this guy but everyone in America seems to love him and he seems basically like Sherlock Holmes. Why do people like House?

Comments

• House basically does what most doctors wish they could do but can't due to ethical, legal and moral reasons yet he gets the job done.

This plus Hugh Laurie.

• edited 2012-08-29 23:02:38
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Are you talking about the show itself or the character House?

The former: Because it's a good medical mystery drama? (Haven't watched it.)

The latter: You don't need to like a character on a personal level to find them compelling (see: Anti-Heroes). Either that or Gregory House is a power fantasy for people who want to be an absolute cockend to other people and get away with it.

^Also, that.

• Because he's a medical Sherlock Holmes.

You just answered your own question.
  • I thought it was schadenfreude.  That and Hugh Laurie.

• a little muffled

@GAP:

I hate this guy but everyone in America seems to love him and he seems basically like Sherlock Holmes.
    People are into Sherlock Holmes these days too.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    he seems basically like Sherlock Holmes

He is literally based on Sherlock Holmes.

Holmes = Homes = House.

Addiction to cocaine = Addiction to Vicodin

Watson = Wilson

etcetera
  • You can change. You can.

The appeal of House is (was) that during the first season, there was some genuinely inventive storytelling with a very interesting main character. As the show went on, though, it lost that. However shit like Three Stories is nothing short of impressive.

• Mr. The Edge goes to Washington

Bitches love jerks. Also, a lot men want be jerks. Thus, House is popular.

• I guess that answers that but House irritates me, I am not a doctor so I wouldn't know.

• No rainbow star
    I still love the last episode

House irritates me

The character is supposed to be unlikeable, though. It's like...the whole point. House is a misanthropic twat who constantly uses his position as a very smart doctor to emotionally blackmail or manipulate people and he does fuck up with their patients as well as using them and their diseases to prove points to his colleagues about everything from God's existence to how cool his shoes are. He's sort of like the Joker in that you like watching him but you never want to meet him.

• No rainbow star

^ I'd like to meet him if I had some sort of disease that was killing me and nobody else had any idea

Rather put up with a psychotic jackass who somehow is the best in his field than die, after all

• Personally I'd rather not meet him because it means I have some horrifying disease that nobody else can figure out.

• I'm a damn twisted person

And some how the disease will be tied to your personal failings and flaws, requiring House to point out just exactly how pathetic you really are. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-31 13:54:24

>House needs prompting to do that

• I'm a damn twisted person

Look there is just something distressing about knowing your kidneys have the consistency of cottage cheese, not because of the horrible luck of a quirk of genetics or contracting a horrible disease, but because you are an asshole who kicks puppies. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-31 14:08:20

Well the good news is that means good people don't get sick, right?  I mean Wilson--OH WAIT LOL

*shot*

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Not all patients were dicks. Some were good people to the extreme, so House took their goodness as a symptom.

Oh man that was when the show really started to suck and be all about how House's 15 year old cynicism was somehow an accurate portrayal of life.