If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Conservatives have a better name than liberals

edited 2012-08-29 01:41:48 in Politics
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Really, they do, literally.

See, the term "conservative" implies restraint and caution, especially when contrasted with "liberal", which then seems to imply "unchecked" and "overdoing".

The problem is, political "conservatives" in the United States right now are all about being so damn convinced they know better than everyone else; they're so filled with hubris, while they're committing the same fault that they accuse liberals of perpetrating.

What happened to the conservative value of humility?

Seriously, these people make me ashamed to call myself a conservative.

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

You're a conservative?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^I think he means he's a conservative according to the actual definition of the word conservative, not the political split that has nothing to do with the words but is labeled with them because reasons.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-29 03:36:00

Also liberal has two definitions etc.

Neither of which are particularly appropriate depending on what kind of Bill-O's the Dems ate any given morning.

• edited 2012-08-29 03:52:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@Crimson: In the sense of favoring caution, circumspection, and humility; recognizing my own fallibility; recognizing my responsibility for my actions; and favoring efficiency, resource conservation, and minimizing waste; yes.

• edited 2012-08-29 07:41:21
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Also liberal has two definitions etc.

Neither of which are particularly appropriate depending on what kind of Bill-O's the Dems ate any given morning.

The word "liberal" is used in a wrong sense in the US. In the rest of the world, liberalism is an ideology supporting a small government, personal freedoms, a free market economy ranging anywhere from centrist to far-right, and (usually, but not necessarily, in case of conservative liberalism) social progress and equality, which is similar to a somewhat saner and less dogmatic version of US libertarianism. US "liberals" range from centrists to social democrats, I think.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^ Technically, many Democrats are social liberals, meaning that the emphasis on economics is greatly reduced, but otherwise the use of the word is somewhat inaccurate. That being said, to call the American right "conservative" in the Edmund Burke sense is far further off the mark.

• Mr. The Edge goes to Washington

I thought this thread was going to be about Conservatives that have better names than Liberals.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

No name will ever beat Lawrence Eagleburger.

No name at all.

• But you never had any to begin with.

I dunno, the name "Wolf Blitzer" is pretty cool.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Eagleburger man. You couldn't get a more American name if you tried.

Eagleburger, fuck yeah!

• No rainbow star
    ^^ John Eagleburger Washington. That's more American
  • You can change. You can.

>Washington

>Not Applepie

Washington Eagleburger Applepie Bison?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

John-Washington "Mom" Eagleburger Applepie.

Checkmate.

• Fun fact: Lawrence Eagleburger had three sons, all of whom are named Lawrence Eagleburger.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Doesn't that get kinda confusing for the family?
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

They probably had nicknames to discern them.

But yeah, dude was an egomaniac.

Nah, they probably all have different middle names. Lawrence Rare Eagleburger, Lawrence Mediumrare Eagleburger, and Lawrence Weldon Eagleburger.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

They do, but (un)fortunately, they're Scott, Andrew, and Jason.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Best name in my book still goes to Schuyler Colfax.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

There are two strands of conservatism. With a stretch, Us type can be signed under Latin (reactionary) strand, but the stretch will be kinda negligibly smaller than in the case of British (evolutionary) strand.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

I'd forgotten about Latin Conservatism. God, do I despise that philosophy with a fiery passion.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Can't say I'm fond of it, either.

• No rainbow star

...Wait what? Latin and Evolutionary?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's based upon whether any given conservative would vote for Julius Caesar or Charles Darwin in the event of a throwdown. 

• No rainbow star

...Huh

I wrote the part for Latin on TVT's Political Ideologies entry on Useful Notes. Hah hah, I brag. But anyway, Latin conservatism pretty much swaps "if it ain't broke..." for "if it was meant to be broken, God would break it".

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

It's basically the bone of the political arm of modern fundamentalist Christianity, at least in the US.