If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: When you drop an easier class that has a light workload because...

edited 2012-08-27 23:10:34 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...you have a harder class with a heavier workload that you can't drop.

Hasn't happened to me (yet?) this semester, but has happened to me in the past.

Comments

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Starting my last year of high school in a week or two. Hoping this doesn't occur.

• It won't, till college. Then it will almost certainly happen.

Hasn't happened to me yet but that's more because I was being stupid and obstinate than anything else. It SHOULD have happened Winter Quarter of last year. I know exactly which class I would've dropped too.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I dropped a history course today for this exact purpose.

• You're a lucky bastard for even having a schedule flexible enough to be able to drop classes.  Both of my majors were too rigid for much more than interchanging a general ed course, and there wasn't any slip room in the credit pace I had to keep.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, that's exactly why you drop that additional class that you signed up for because you thought it might be fun and easy.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-28 01:52:18

Except I couldn't drop those either, just replace it with an equivalent course for general ed requirements.  I had to average 17 credits a term all the way through the program to get everything done in reasonable time -- just having a hole in the schedule would've meant getting delayed another year beyond what the admissions departments cheated me out of in transfers.

• edited 2012-08-28 01:57:47
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^What was your major? I can only think of a select few that consistently requires that many credits per semester in my college.

Granted I'm taking into account summer courses.

You mean, like...chemical engineering?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Without summer courses, maybe.

• edited 2012-08-28 02:11:02
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I know at my undergrad place, a department can only require up to a certain number of major-specific credit units (I think it's 192) for a major.

(Note the 192 is under a different system; 12 units is your typical class, which corresponds roughly to 3 or 4 units at other places.)

Chemical engineering and aero/astro engineering have maxed that out.

• edited 2012-08-28 07:31:16
    Has friends besides tanks now

What was your major? I can only think of a select few that consistently requires that many credits per semester in my college.

17? I've noticed that my school apparently has rather strict credit requirements; I've just started freshman year and I'm on 18 credits. Now, you'd think that's maybe because I'm also dual-majoring, but a bunch of people here that I know of have 18 credits (and I heard one freshman say he's on 21), and you need, I think, 140 to graduate. I would have rolled with it, but apparently their friends are on 14-15 credits much of the time.

• a little muffled

how the hell does american school even work where 17 credits a semester is even possible

• College, and here is the breakdown, two 4 credit classes and three 3 credit classes.

• a little muffled

Why would a class be worth four credits I don't get it

• For my college it is when there is around 3 hour's of lecture and a lab or the class has around 4 hours of lecture. Think Spanish and nursing classes for example on the last one.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

At my school, I had an hour of Japanese each on every day but Wednesday, so four hours.

• a little muffled

@delta534: Oh okay, it being based on time actually makes sense.

The phrase "17 credits a semester" just made my eyes pop out because over here the standard is 2.5 credits a semester (with a one-semester course being worth half a credit and a two-semester course being worth one credit).

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Oh, so that's how they decide credit values. I kinda gathered that from my 2-credit class being once a week, but I guess my school is weird, then; 195-200 minutes/week (3:15-3:20) = 4 credit course.

I guess they just round up?

• That seems about right, my school treats 50 minutes in lecture as 1 credit.

Speaking of school, I made a fairly significant step towards getting back into college today :D

At my undergrad place, they counted expected number of hours in lecture, lab/fieldwork, and studying.  Take their total and you have the number of credit units the class is worth.  A typical class, depending on how many hours of lecture it has in a week, is like 5-0-7, 4-0-8, or 3-0-9.

Thing is, the almost ALWAYS rounded these to numbers divisible by three.  I only know of two 8-unit classes, three 4-unit classes, and one 1-unit class.  It's almost like a minor achievement if you manage to make your total credit count not 0 mod 3 (i.e. not divisible by three).

Your basic full-size class is 12 units.  A smaller class is 9 units; 6-unit classes are often half-semester classes.  A lab might be 15 or 18 units, and have a unit count like 4-8-6.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    @ClockworkUniverse: Nice! What did you do?
  • edited 2012-08-28 16:45:15
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Started the process of requesting a late withdrawal from my last semester.