If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Dragon Quest V

BeeBee
edited 2012-08-27 15:23:35 in General

Between the focus on half your party being monsters that gain levels really freaking fast, an overabundance of metal slimes to get them up to speed, high encounter rate, and the fact that they didn't figure out until DQ9 that they could combine multiple level-ups and show all your stat gains all at once instead of t-e-d-i-o-u-s-l-y- -p-r-i-n-t-i-n-g- -o-u-t- -e-v-e-r-y- -s-i-n-g-l-e- -p-o-i-n-t- -o-n- -i-t-s- -o-w-n- -o-v-e-r-l-y- -v-e-r-b-o-s-e- -l-i-n-e, it actually takes twice as long to click through your level ups from half the random encounters as it did to kill them in the first place.

You might actually spend more time clicking through level-ups than everything else in the dungeon combined.  That's potentially worse than Sonic 2006 and its loading.

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-27 15:41:33

*levelup jingle that you can't skip and nothing prints while it's playing*

was promoted to level 20!

Maximum HP rose by 15!

's Power increased!

Strength rose by 4!

Agility rose by 2!

Defense rose by 2!

Wisdom rose by 1!

I mean I get that they're big on throwbacks, but there's a big difference between clicking through that in the first game when it was a momentous and hard-won occasion for one character, and having to click through that in a context where it happens multiple times a battle for dudes you largely don't care about and are just bench-warming until you find better monsters.  I mean, hell, at least instant-print the lines instead of doing it at the glacial message speed.

Seriously, I don't give a shit that Mr. York my Evil Apple got some defense.  Mr. York is never going to see the light of day in my front line.  I'm literally keeping him around for nutritional value in case my wagon gets stuck in the mountains and my party has to eat each other.  That makes getting him defense bad because it makes him harder to chew.