If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I've had less and less free printing through post-secondary education

edited 2012-08-23 03:29:43 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

At my first university, I enjoyed unlimited free printing, as an undergrad.  (I don't know what the policies were for grad students.)  The printers also spat out cover pages, which were useful as scratch/graph paper.

At my second university, I was limited to 20 sheets per week of printing, as a grad student.  Strangely, undergraduates were allotted 200 sheets (or was it 100 sheets, i.e. 200 pages?), plus an additional semester-long buffer that you could pull from anytime by simply going over, of another 200 (or 100) sheets.

At my current university, there is no free printing (at least for grad students).  Enjoy your US$0.08 per sheet.  No double-sided available, according to a library clerk.

(A more subtle point illustrated by both this thread and the one I just made is the notion I've heard but haven't confirmed that bigger-name institutions are better-funded and more able to provide conveniences to their students.)

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh, that's 8 cents a page at the computer lab.  At the library next door, it's 10 cents a page.

Also, 10 cents a page for copies, coincidentially right outside the place where you turn in immunization records...yeah, I used it seven times.

• At my college you get 200 free pages and after that it is 5 cents a page.

• edited 2012-08-23 13:08:19

And my school is... 10 cents for a single-sided page, 15 cents for a double-sided page, and everyone (at least undergrads.  I don't know about grad students) gets an allowance of $40 (or maybe it's $20.  I forgot) for printing every semester, which rolls over into the second semester of the year but not past that (so if you don't print anything in the fall, then you'll have $80 in the spring, but if you continue to not print anything you'll still only have $40 next fall).

> $40

> $80

> $0.15

ARGH THE LACK OF DIVISIBILITY

• I took free printing in primary school as granted. I know that feel. 8 cents where I go, not sure if that means a few cents more or less compared to American dollars.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think the school I was at used a system like DYRE's, but I had my own printer so I dunno.

I have my own printer.  All this means is that I have to do all my printing at home.

Also, FWIW, inkjet printing is weak to water.  However laser printing is weak to plastic surfaces, so that kinda cancels it out in the long run.

• I'm a damn twisted person

My college always had you pay as you went for each page printed. I think it was something like 10 cents. They sold these print cards that you could put as much money as you wanted on them, and just swipe those through the reader to manage your print stuff.

Finding lost print cards was always a pleasant surprise.