If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I've been so incredibly derpy today

edited 2012-08-10 03:39:37 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

First, instead of checking to make sure the GPS allowed toll roads (as opposed to my experimenting with it earlier), I let it direct me all the way to Rockland County in upstate New York instead of going to the New Jersey Turnpike.  By the time I got there I was like, fuck Jersey, I'll just go through Philly instead.  I did get gas that was probably cheaper than on the Turnpike (US$3.499/gal) but the detour--including going down a one-lane-each-way U.S. highway, U.S. 206 I think, through northern NJ--added about an hour and a half to my total trip time.

(By coincidence I found out that it passes right by both Princeton University and, next to Princeton U, the high school of one of my old classmates.)

Then to try to evade traffic going into DC, I took another bunch of wrong turns and headed through surface streets around Maryland.

Then I arrived.  I unpacked a toaster oven.

At around 2 AM, I attempted to use toaster oven to heat up a couple slices of toast.  I'd bitten into one already.  I wiped down the toast rack and then heated up the oven to dry it up.  Then I stuck the two pieces of toast on it.  About a minute later, the smoke detector starts screaming.  I'm going to have to explain this one to the landlady tomorrow...

...and then at around 3 AM, I knock over an entire pitcher of water.  Just finished cleaning up most of it.

...okay, I can also be thankful of a few things.  I can be thankful that despite my derpiness, I got here safe and sound, even if I took about eight and a half hours to do it.  I also can be thankful that the toaster oven didn't actually cause a fire.  Finally, I can be thankful that the pitcher didn't fall onto the ground and shatter and I was able to catch it before it did (even though all the water came out).

...and just now I confused a friend I was IMing with with another friend.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

WMG: Glenn is a Japanese school girl starring in a moeshit series. 

• lol he is so kawaii doe

• WMG: Glenn is a Japanese school girl starring in a moeshit series.

I suddenly understand everything.

• edited 2012-08-10 04:50:20

WMG: Glenn is a Japanese school girl starring in a moeshit series. 

That post didn't even contain a single UMI DA or EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH so nope.

Also school girls typically wouldn't be able to drive, especially in moe anime, since you need to be 18 to get a drivers' license in Japan and most animango is about 15/16 year olds.

• Or he's a pegasus. Or mentally challenged. Or possibly all three, which would make this thread triply offensive for making light of the plights of otakukin, otherkin and the differently sane.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-10 05:56:31

^ Yeah let's not go into that can of worms.

^^ Seriously?  Japan lets you start rutting at goddamn 13, but you have to be college age to drive?

• edited 2012-08-10 06:08:10
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Japan lets you start rutting at goddamn 13

13 is the nation-wide minimum age, yes, but some individual prefectures set the bar a lot higher.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

but you have to be college age to drive?

Bad driving is dangerous for everybody in your general area but sex is only dangerous to those involved?

• The intricate details, for those of you who want to get suspicious looks for having such a detailed knowledge of age of consent laws: http://legal.3yen.com/2005-07-27/is-the-age-of-consent-in-japan-really-13/

Lol @ The Sexual Harassment Corporation. Stay classy, Japan.

All that loli anime is starting to make sense...

Well, more than it already did.

That Sexual Harrasment Corp thing is really creepy.

• Allow me to use the magic of mansplaining to say that all those odd little cultural kinks are completely harmless, as surely enough those peeps who can't distinguish their fetish from reality would stay brain-addled even without a company catering to that submarket.

The catering is still creepy though.

• A minor derail seems in order: mansplaining is the term for any kind of action where a bro assumes he has more authority/knowledge of subject for unwarranted reasons(most of the time because the listener is of the female persuasion).

It's wonderful because the term is a temper tantrum trigger for the underprivileged-while it gives the Tumblr folks(here defaulting them to the stereotype of irrational, constantly butthurt keyboard warriors) the most effective debate killer since Derailing for Dummies, the term can be nicked easily, and when used by a privileged party, it is always interpreted as passive-aggressiveness-masking-behind-fake-irony, and sends them frothing at the mouth. The word has become their own worst enemy: any use of it will effectively shoot the conversation into recursive layers of meta-debating since any reaction from the offender can be constructed into a mansplaination of a mansplaination of a mansplaination, etc. until the offender finds something better to occupy himself with. While this may seem like a victory for our dear crusaders, it is a fact a silencing tactic in and off itself.

QED: this long-winded post assumed you didn't know for unwarranted reason. The post before this shows how mansplaining can be used to delegitimize your feelings of creepiness by explaining them away as irrational. 

Sigh, maybe I'm just missing Country Pumpkin and his volatile viewpoints.

• edited 2012-08-10 12:41:05
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Oh, well that was a serious misunderstanding on my part...

Where is CP anyways? I miss his Politics threads...

• edited 2012-08-10 12:38:05
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

He's banned. He was actually a ban evader.

Really? Oh well, life goes on...

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> volatile viewpoints

No, they were just caustic, not volatile.  (1) I was able to avoid sensing them pretty easily, and (2) they did not explode on the drop of a hat.

...sorry, chemistry geekery.

> As an added note, even though the age of consent in Japan can be 13, the age of majority is 20 for voting. The age of adulthood is considered 20 and driving age is 18.

> 20 for voting

D=<

My wrist is sore...from having to lift one side of a heavy table with stuff on it.

• Glennmagusharvey,

I guess your problems getting to the place might have thrown you off a bit when you actually starting unpacking stuff. Either way, fatigue was probably a big part of it, so I would not blame yourself too much.

Would it make you feel better if we shared our own stories of derpiness?

Please, feel free.

In other news, I have a bunch of lemons because my mom thought it would be a great idea for me to eat some lemons (plus water and honey) as a vitamin C source / immune system booster.

I don't have honey...but I do have sugar.

How do I made lemonade?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Don't. Real men suck raw lemons.

• I am God, and all other gods are my imagery. I gave birth to myself. I am millions of forms excreating; eternal; and nothing exists except through me; yet I am not them - they serve me.

Are you a bad enough dude to suck raw lemons?

• Wait, who was CP?

• edited 2012-08-11 04:21:04
    a little muffled

GLORIOUSLeader. See activity.

• edited 2012-08-11 04:23:20
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Country Pumpkin.

He was actually GLORIOUSLeader.

Ninja'd the fuck out.

• edited 2012-08-11 15:16:14
    Loser

Glennmagusharvey,

Please, feel free.

Well, a while back I went to a Goodwill that had a mug display. Basically, a bunch of coffee mugs were hanging on hooks on a wall of the store. There were rows and rows of them. For some reason I got closer to the mugs (I think maybe I wanted to look at them) and touched one. It ended up falling off its perch and the impact pushed another one off its hook. Long story short, that first mug caused a chain reaction and the mugs began falling and crashing like dominoes. I ended up breaking a lot of them, but thankfully the employee who noticed it did not make me pay for any of the damage.

As for the lemons, I guess now you will have your own definitive answer to the whole "if life gives you lemons" question.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Sounds like he thought it was their fault for storing them that way.
  • Yeah I notice a lot of stores anymore have so many mugs stacked on shelves the front row of them hangs out an inch over the edge.  I'm pretty sure they're trying to induce "you break it, you buy it".

• Definitely not gay.

Country Pumpkin was Glorious Leader?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The mods think so. They have no definite proof, but a lot of circumstantial evidence that makes it sound probable.