If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fireplaces in condominiums/apartments/flats

edited 2012-08-08 14:45:26 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

They take up lots of space and are really, really useless.

Why do people want them?

Comments

• a little muffled

They're nice?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

How?

How are they nice when you could better use the space by (1) not having something bulging out into the middle of the room, (2) have more open space to put furniture, and (3) not have to worry about the heat coming from it being bad for various materials including leather and wood?

• edited 2012-08-08 14:51:29
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

They're generally just big decorations used to make the apartment look classier than it really is.

• a little muffled

How?
    They look nice? Also fire. Everyone loves fire.

• edited 2012-08-08 15:49:31
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You're asking me to sacrifice a large amount of usable space in order to have a large, clunky, immovable, awkwardly-placed object that merely "looks good", when I have well less than a thousand square feet to work with?

...I won't ever understand why people find these things "classy".

I'm also annoyed that, as a consumer, I have to pay for a feature that I don't want and won't use only because it is considered to have market value and no one builds newer units without it.

Also, in the "supposedly classy but mostly a useless waste of space" department: expensive wineglasses and stuff that you'd only ever use once or twice a lifetime.

• People like burning things.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Fires are nice to have. 'specially in winter.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

If functional: Fires are nice, brings the room together, and so forth.

If not: No idea.

• Also fire. Everyone loves fire.

• If it's a relatively small gas fireplace, I don't see the harm...

(We converted one of our fireplaces to gas. It's the only one we even actually use. Then again, we hardly live in a condo. Fun fact: I live in what was our house's original master bedroom before an addition was made a few years later [we're talking 80's, years before I was born], and in addition to it being huge, there's a fireplace. I stick random stuff in it and will for sure never actually use it.)