If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

FLAC Music Files

edited 2012-08-08 10:59:44 in General
There is love everywhere, I already know

Is there anything that these things honestly do better than MP3s aside from not working on portable music players, being insanely huge, not working on computers unless you've got certain (kinda rare) codecs installed and adding to elitist nerds... elitism?

Comments

• edited 2012-08-08 11:25:45

FLAC files always sound a bit better to me, more clear - I'll convert them to MP3, maximum settings, just for convenience, and those files always sound more compressed than the FLAC originals.

Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me, though.

• But you never had any to begin with.

The whole "Being a lossless format" thing is kinda a big difference.

• edited 2012-08-08 12:04:15
    Has friends besides tanks now

I keep reading the title as "FLAG: Music files" and going "dammit, what now?"

Don't know much about music files, though. Except that iTunes sucks.

• edited 2012-08-08 12:50:36

They are lossless, which means 1.) they probably sound better and 2.) you can re-encode them to a lossy format of choice without turning them into garbage.

Being larger doesn't matter too much since hard drive space is pretty cheap.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Hmm, maybe I was being a bit judgemental. But is the difference in quality really discernible? I listened to some of Nana Mizuki's heavier stuff and the original Eureka Seven soundtrack in both formats (well, not in headphones, cause I like having the ability to hear) and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary in either format.

^ Harddrive space is cheap, but I don't want to purchase 5+ more harddrives because I have no space left on my desk and I still like to listen to a lot of music (and obtain lots of new music that I'll never have time to listen to).

• For the average person on average sound equipment, there will be no difference. Unless you need to re-encode the music to a different format, just stick with MP3s.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> I keep reading the title as "FLAG: Music files" and going "dammit, what now?"

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

> I keep reading the title as "FLAG: Music files" and going "dammit, what now?"

I actually woke up, saw this thread and went "goddamn it, not first thing in the morning."

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Did that, too.

I'm pretty sure that's the whole active mod team.

inb4 someone very funny starts making music threads beginning with "FLAC:"

• But you never had any to begin with.

I made a music thread about FLAC once! ...Except it didn't start with FLAC, and was months ago.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I guess someone could snowclone this with "FLAK: [something that they get flak for]".

• edited 2012-08-08 14:46:22
    a little muffled

Being larger doesn't matter too much since hard drive space is pretty cheap.
    MP3 player space is somewhat more limited, though (if your player even supports FLAC), and then you'd have to have two separate copies of your music library which sounds like a pain.

Also related to the file size, while hard drive space is rarely an object, monthly download limits certainly might be.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm pretty sure that's the whole active mod team.

yup
  • It happened to me too and I'm not even a mod here...