If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"You now have timeline, a new kind of profile"

edited 2012-08-06 20:51:02 in Webspace
a little muffled

Do not want

Comments

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Know that feel, bro.

• a little muffled

TBH I should probably feel lucky that it took so long.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Context motherfucker? Do you provide it?

• a little muffled

Facebook changed its profile design to a new thing called Facebook Timeline which is, to put it mildly, fucking terrible. However they did not roll it out to all profiles at once, instead allowing people to voluntarily switch to it but giving a date after which all profiles would be changed to it. Except that the date came and went and many profiles, mine included, were not changed.

I just went onto Facebook a few minutes ago and discovered that I now have it and this is sad. :(

• edited 2012-08-06 21:12:11
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Facebook has a new profile design called "Timeline".

It basically caters much more to the "hai gaiz im at starbux enjoying an iced capp" people than the publicity/profile management people.

I'm a publicity/profile management person.  I am totally, totally not a "hai gaiz im at starbux enjoying an iced capp" person.

• a little muffled

I'm not convinced it does that. I mean really, it's exactly the same as the original profile except uglier and everything is in a different place for no discernible reason. Oh and for some reason things are in two different columns, not really sure what's up with that.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Okay, fine, it intends to cater to those people more than it intends to cater to the publicity/profile management people.

• My arms are falling off!

The only thing I dislike about TL is the two-column feature. Other than that, I can live with it.

FWIW, I haven't actually seen it yet.

I'll check it out later.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-08-06 23:30:13

It's an excessively cluttered mess that breaks pretty much every bit of advice they give us in Interface Usability, which presumably all CS majors have to take at some point.  It's like one of the designers had a personal vendetta against whitespace and readability.

Also, the dropdown options under "edit or delete" don't actually contain an option to edit anything.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

NO

GOOGLE IS NOT MY LOVER

HECKNO.AVI

• You can change. You can.

using facebook unironically has to be some sort of capital crime

• a little muffled

I don't use it much tbh. I made my first status update in months yesterday, and it consisted of me commenting on how I hadn't done a status update in months. (I wonder if that triggered the timeline thing?)

• Eh, it's a good way to see how all my friends in different states and countries are doing. And when I was in college I used it a lot to coordinate stuff; these days, tumblr seems to be my go-to for that, weirdly enough.

• a little muffled

I do check Facebook quite often.

• edited 2012-08-07 06:24:41
    My arms are falling off!

I can see where some people are coming from with all the Facebook hate, but eh, I use it to keep up with local friends in lieu of text messaging or other online presences.

I will say that the "friend request" model is getting out of date--I much prefer G+'s and Diaspora's "add people and you can see their public posts right away" model.

• Pros:

*Facebook groups are handy for quick discussions etc. which would normally clog up the mailbox

*Handy way to see if there's anything fun you're missing due to Recommended Events

*Steady supply of gossip/drama

*Tracking tool to find what old bros are up to nowadays

Cons:

*Facebook games and other spam apps

*Privacy issues

*Peeps who clog up the feed with memes and partisan bullcrap

*Distraction when you need to be doing other stuff

*Inevitably having to go through this type of discussion with 'skeptics'

All in all, the cons are easily preventable through some self-discipline and liberal use of blocking, in my opinion. I know a few peeps who complain about feeling isolated, then proceed to delete their Facebook because the impression of 'fake' friends it gives them. Always a tad annoying to have to find them separately.

• I'm a damn twisted person

How dare friendships require a modicum of effort to keep up. 

> "add people and you can see their public posts right away"

Shouldn't public posts be visible anytime anyway?

> 'skeptics'

what do you mean by skeptics?

• Yeah, I don't see a one-way follow as a good thing at all.  I've gotten my share of creepers trying to friend me already, and being able to silently lock them out is a saving grace of the site.

If you want one-way follow, go to LiveJournal.

• a little muffled

Or Twitter, or Tumblr, or any other site meant primarily as a blogging platform rather than a social network.

• edited 2012-08-07 15:09:39
    My arms are falling off!

What I meant by "see public posts right away" is "follow right away". Although then again, G+ and D* are meant to be a different experience from Facebutt.

Sounds like you want a blogging or microblogging service if you want "follow right away".

I will say this: Timeline may look cluttered, but it beats the snot out of lookig at mid-2000's-era MySpace pages. The ones that would make seasoned web designers want to call the police.

• a little muffled

Timeline may look cluttered, but it beats the snot out of lookig at mid-2000's-era MySpace pages.
    That is not much of an achievement.

• I'm in the minority here but I kind of like Timeline. Its rollout was kinda dumb but after having had it since the developer preview back in November I'm used to it.

I usually don't really have much problems with site redesigns. Sure, it may take a while to get adjusted to but most of the time they don't make the site downright unusable.

At least TL doesn't allow you to show off your shit-tier copypasted HTML skills or lack thereof. (Am I the only one who a. had a MySpace and b. did little to my profile's design throughout the 4 years I actively used it?)

I prefer people showing off their shit-tier HTML skills, actually; a platform that allows that also would allow lots of customizations...which I'd enjoy.

Not to mention that different people's profiles would actually look very different, making for very convenient visual differentiation/recognition.

^^ My beef with Facebook is less their simply rearranging things and more their changing features, such as phasing out fanclubs in favor of "liking pages"--though I can clearly see the reason behind that, because the latter produces market information about consumer preferences in a much neater and more organized fashion.