If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Yoshi's Story

edited 2011-01-08 06:27:46 in Media
La vie en rose
Who decided that it was a good idea to totally downsize the vision, the accomplishment, that was Yoshi's Island, and turn it into a vapid baby's game? It's not half as big as Yoshi's Island, the graphics don't even look as sharp (let alone as beautiful), the levels are insipid, and the Yoshi sounds are godawful. And he looks rubbish in 3D. It bugs me hugely that it is THIS Yoshi that overtook the Mario canon for what he sounds and acts like; I'm not ALWAYS a nostalgicist but really, how can anyone prefer the constipating flutter hush to the older sneezy sound from Super Mario World?

Comments

• edited 2011-01-08 09:00:35
    Silence is golden.
    Sorry to make such a dull retord, but I completely disagree.

I love the game. I actually find the level design to be surprisingly clever in spots, and trying to undertake the Melon quest shows the developers put a lot of thought and cre into the game than what it initially looks like. I find the storybook style is every bit as beautiful as the original, apart from a few clashing pixelated sprites - certainly better than the dull mess of Yoshi's Island DS at any rate.

Yes, it could have used an actual difficulty boost instead of a tedious self-imposed challenge. And yep, it's not half the game Yoshi's Island is. But for what it is, I like it.

Re Yoshi's sound: YMMV, apart from the horrible singing (shit could be weaponized), I don't mind 'em. It could have been worse (around 1:25) :
  • If that don't work, use more gun.
    I rather like the game.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I like it, but it's nothing special.

I think that's the problem.  It was a decent, fun game.  People were expecting a great game.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I haven't played YS, but I will say this: I really, REALLY hate the new yoshi-voice.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Also, the Yoshi's Story theme-motif sucks.
  • It was passable, but the music was terrible and the Yoshi singing made me want to tear off and eat my own ears.