If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Limyaael's Rants

edited 2012-08-02 14:48:25 in IJAM
Has friends besides tanks now

I recently found a link to this gigantic list of rants about what authors get wrong in fiction. I've only read rants that apply to fantasy so far, so I don't know how generalized some of it might be, but what I'm reading makes enough sense, and I think I can learn a lot from them, even if they're rather old. I'm in the middle of the one on animals, and I've read the ones on tragedy vs. angst and abused characters. I feel like it might stray a bit into "there's a right and wrong way to write things", but what I've read has also been grounded firmly in real-world logic that should be heeded by anything pretending at some level of realism.

Actually, the rant on "Avoiding Medieval Fantasy" seems to be "you don't actually have to write things in this way", so I think it's currently a fair assumption to assume it's just about things that don't make sense.

Unfortunately, a bunch of them are missing, I guess.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think I've seen some of these.

Which ones appear to be missing to you? The ones I checked just now all worked.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, yeah, I guess the ones with just pencils just link to her Livejournal.

• I was really into these things for a while.

Never really finished them all.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

She says some wrong things about medieval combat.

I mean

jus' saiyan

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

combat, the one thing I have no idea how to write.