If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Myths Over Miami"; an amazing and tragic reflection on folklore.

edited 2012-07-31 05:58:13 in Meatspace
One foot in front of the other, every day.

Here's the article. 

I have few words as of now. There's a lot to take in here, from the cultural aspects to the visceral human suffering. Note that it's quite out of date, being published in 1997, but it's amazing how the children's quasi-Christian folklore reflects a pop-cultural understanding of religion mixed with both a sense of despair and denial of that despair. 

Comments

• You can change. You can.

holy shit are you preparing some sort of mega essay that will kill us all?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

it will probably be so long it crashes our browsers when we try to load it

• You can change. You can.

I'm just expecting the anti-life equation in essay form. which would mean that holy shit we have darkseid as a mod

• I aaw that article a long time ago while reading Digger.

It's a terrible tale.
  • edited 2012-07-31 10:18:48
    You know what else is terrible?

Double-posts.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Hey I remember this.

Apparently it's fake, though? I dunno. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Some things do seem a bit "off". Some of the anecdotes are perhaps too tragic, although I might have chalked that up to cherry picking on behalf of the journalist. 

• Lazuli: Didn't you write a song about it?
  • No rainbow star

Juan: Wouldn't Alex be more likely to be some sort of possessed sword or something?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Lazuli: Didn't you write a song about it?

I would prefer to not discuss my *ahem* "songwriting", but yes. 

I don't honestly care if it's fake or not, I just find the mythology interesting and the plight of Florida's children tragic regardless, but quite a lot of people seem to think it is (there's an example in the comments of the article itself, actually).