If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

What the hell is it with RPGs

BeeBee
edited 2012-07-30 02:08:23 in Media

And moments of utter weird shit?  I mean, not ones like Mario & Luigi that kind of constantly revel in weird shit because that's their thing.  But it seems like even relatively serious ones will save it all up for a tremendous moment of WTF out of nowhere, usually near the end of the game.

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Examples?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-30 02:18:21

Well for example I'm near the end of Avernum 4, plowing through a phalanx of mountain giants to chop off the head of a nationwide conspiracy, and then I stumble on a colony of Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders, who give me a marriage proposition and advice on how to avoid an abdomen cramp.  Or FF4 drowning itself in angst for pretty much the whole thing, then during the climax you go to the moon and find Hummingway.  I could probably think of more.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Hummingway's entirely optional, though, and besides, this is the same game where you give tails to an old man living underground to make weapons and armour.

• No rainbow star

Pokemon doesn't have those moments from what I recall

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Pokemon's not a standard RPG, though. It's....

well it's Pokemon. 

• There is love everywhere, I already know

^^ The entirety of Pokemon is the weird moment.

• You can change. You can.

KHII has Atlantis

does that count

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

yes

• Definitely not gay.

Don't forget the GIANT FUCKING GORON in OoT.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

>OoT

>RPG

• Seems to me those moments are not so much 'weird shit' as well as 'comic relief with bad timing'. The only time I've ever seen such switching done well is the Daccat's Island segment of Skies of Arcadia.

• My arms are falling off!

MOTHER series, 'nuff said.

• Definitely not gay.

^ Doesn't MOTHER revel in weird shit?