If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

What does this mean?

GAPGAP
edited 2012-07-28 14:40:26 in General

There is a saying, "Power is nothing without the skill to use it properly." What does that mean to use something 'properly'?

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

For the right purposes.  What does "right" mean?  Well, depends on your value system.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^If it's talking about skill, it wouldn't be about morality, but about effectiveness.
  • I was refering to morality but what does that mean to be 'effective'? What does 'right'mean?

• They're somethin' else.

Kind of reminds me of the "steel is nothing without a hand to wield it" speech from Conan the Barbarian.

• If it refers to pure efficency, then it's about striking the place that would yield the most damaging results, or building in the place that would bring in the most benefits.

If it refers to morality, then it refers to the fact that even if you brought in the most benefit to yourself, if you took something away from someone else, then can you live with yourself knowing that?

• You can change. You can.

Basically, if you had a gun and wouldn't know how to point it or shoot it, then you're not exactly the best soldier you could be, even if you have the power to be (Of course, being a soldier's not just having a gun but you get the idea)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Is this about philosophical definitions of morality and righteousness?

I don't mind, but I just wanted to move it over to the philosophy category.