If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The 2012 Summer Olympics opening ceremonies

edited 2012-07-28 01:30:55 in IJAM
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I joined the Olympics opening ceremony watching a bit late.  About when the Queen showed up.

I later heard she'd parachuted with James Bond (I mean Daniel Craig) into the stadium.  I was like :O

Then I read that they were stunt doubles.  I was like :(

Still, though, nice prank.

I think I prefer British humor over U.S.-American humor.

Overall, very nicely done ceremony.  As I said, I missed the first half.

The Queen seemed a bit...either under-the-weather or slightly pissed off at something.  My mom pointed this out a couple times.  Oh well.

Still, very nice opening ceremony.  I was quite impressed with the second-half performances.  I missed the first half but from the bits I saw later I think I'd have been pretty impressed too.

I can't help but wonder if the whole thing celebrating the National Health Service was in small part a stealth insult about how damn backwards the U.S. has been about healthcare re the recent "controversy" over it.

And I gotta say I'm quite surprised that they made an entire show segment celebrating internet-based modernity.  From a kid walking out of a car with his eyes glued to his DS to IMs/texts/tweets showing up on screen on the two main characters of that segment...yeah, I was not expecting this to be featured, let alone celebrated.

Awesome audience-location-based pixel art was awesome.  Awesome fireworks were also awesome.  Meaningful torch--formed from combining those "shells" brought in one by each country--is meaningful.

Oh, and another cool thing about watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics?  You get to see a bunch of very attractive young men and/or women (depending on which way you swing).

Comments

• edited 2012-07-28 01:32:20

Oh my GOSH.

The video I _JUST_ watched--showing the segment of James Bond going to get the Queen--just now got blocked by the IOC on copyright grounds.

Hey, fuck you, copyright goons!

In other news, this is why I am making a repository.

• I shouldn't have doubted the people who said Mary Poppins was going to fight Voldemort.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Good to see that Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia fielded delegations.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

And I gotta say I'm quite surprised that they made an entire show segment celebrating internet-based modernity....yeah, I was not expecting this to be featured, let alone celebrated.

Well, at one point during the presentation they lifted up that house in the middle of the stadium and inside was this guy working at his desk.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I should really get to watching this (Got it DVR-ed), seems like it was awesome.

and

very attractive young men

SOLD!

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I would have thought you swung the other way.

• edited 2012-07-28 02:42:00
    There is love everywhere, I already know

You thought I was straight?

• edited 2012-07-28 04:16:42

Given the fact that you're male and you use a bunch of female animé characters as avatars, yes.

Obviously, I was wrong.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I stopped watching after the athletes, because there's no way they could match Barcelona's glorious torch light