If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Google's (Make that all major websites) OBSESSION with merging all accounts together

edited 2012-07-22 19:19:28 in Webspace
No rainbow star

So to reply to comments on YouTube (it does have some use), I had to start using my real name on YouTube, or delete my Google+ account

Fucking assholes... I started using my real name, but I like being known as Icalasari >.>

EDIT: Actually, make that all the major sites. No, I don't want to use a Facebook account to comment on a webcomic with lewd themes and images, thank you very much

Comments

• That's why I don't have a Google+ account in the first place.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I have a Google+ account with one of my many Google system usernames only because one person decided to host remote audience members at a seminar using a Google+ Hangout.

Yes, this phenomenon really, really, really irks me too.  I DON'T want to share my activities with tons of my contacts.  I also don't want there to be any searchable database (other than possibly brute-force asking my ISP for all the IP addresses I've connected to) connecting things like professional contacts and following peoples links to 4chan or something.

And I like my e-mail addresses disposable.  I already have a good handle on remembering their passwords.  On the other hand, I like being able to test stuff by using spam-baiting, "fake", and otherwise temporary accounts.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

FYI I know exactly why Google and Facebook are doing this, and I am pretty sure the reasons are the same for several other sites.

The business cores of Google and Facebook are running sites to get lots of consumer data to give to advertisers.

The more of your behavior a site can see, the more accurately it can target advertisements to you.

• edited 2012-07-23 12:28:37
    Loser

I cannot speak to the situation with Google, but I have heard that Mark Zuckerberg is a big believer in the idea that people should only really have one online identity. I believe his reasons were related to the idea that having multiple identities online was against the spirit of integrity and transparency.

Honestly though, I agree with Icalasari and glennmagusharvey about this. Seems to me like there are some pretty legitimate reasons to want to separate stuff associated with your real name that real life contacts can see from things on places like IJBM. Sure, some people may abuse that relative anonymity given the opportunity, but other times that separation can allow people to be free of unreasonable social pressure exerted by classmates, coworkers, or family members that otherwise stops them from being who they want to be.

• edited 2012-07-23 12:25:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You mean disconnecting.

Edit: never mind

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    When dealing with businesses, always remember: if it's free, you aren't the customer. You're the product.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

It could just be because of the smaller amount of overhead on Google's part...