If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My ISP is stalking my downloads.

edited 2012-07-18 14:08:25 in Webspace
Tableflipper

Maybe they aren't. Maybe their "delay" is just a lie in order to get me into thinking i'm safe. Maybe they won't care if i'm downloading videos from legal places. Maybe they will fine me for even loading 3 seconds of a youtube video, due to suspected piracy.

aaaaaah aaaaaaaaah AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

STOP THIS SUFFOCATING TERROR

ONE FALSE POSITIVE AND BAM

1/4 OF MY BANK ACCOUNT CAN BE KILLED OFF

AND THESE PEOPLE AREN'T EVEN DOING THIS LEGALLY

getawaygetawayawayawayawayAWAYAWAYAWAY

So, uh, yeah. I'm being paranoid. I'm only here right now because I think they will allow me the most basic function of the internet (web browsing)...for now.

Comments

• I'm a damn twisted person
    You okay chummer?
  • no

this is worse than how

megaupload's death still haunts me to this day

• I'm a damn twisted person
    I'm sure there is plenty of free stuff to enjoy online. Like... Um web comics? Flash games? YouTube vids? Blogs and irc channels?
  • They're somethin' else.

GYATTA GET AWAAAAAAY

GET AWWWWAAAAAY~~

BETWEEN THE VELVET LIIII-IIES! THERE'S A TRUTH THAT'S HARD AS STEEEEEEL~ YEEE-HEAGH!

• web comics maybe but I have Manga Reading Direction Syndrome

flash games bleh (I usually play an MMO but maybe my ISP will be all like ZOMGWUT U IS PLAYIN GAEM WIT INTERNET CONNECTION MAYB U IS PIRATE DAT!!!)

youtube videos tend to be .flv or .mp4 files which is horrible to look at because it automatically downloads into my temporary internet files and if I look at anything resembling something I should be paying for (like an anime scene, or a music video, or whatever) then BAM they can steal from my bank account for piracy

blogs meh

irc channels...meh

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

For starters, they would get fucktons of liability if they throttled people just for clicking on the wrong youtube video.

Not to mention that, practically speaking, there's more unauthorized reused/reuploaded material on Youtube than there is original content, anyway.

When you watch a Youtube video, the data is downloaded to your computer anyway; "streaming" doesn't really mean data flows in one end and flows out the other.

What is your ISP anyway?

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

which isps are doing this and who are their ceos

i need to update my hitlist

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Aren't they just keeping an eye on torrents for the most part?

• edited 2012-07-18 15:17:38
    (void)

I think so, yeah.  I'm kind of curious as to how deep their searches go, though.

Do they only pay attention to you if you use up a lot of bandwidth, or do they actually search out whether you're torrenting?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I'm guessing they cross-reference your browser history with certain flagged sites.

• edited 2012-07-18 15:53:55
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^I think what they do is flag torrent traffic that goes through them. From there, I'm not sure what they do.

• edited 2012-07-18 15:56:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Can they look through the data you transmit for stuff going by torrent protocols or something?

^ That's what I thought.

I wouldn't see why not. Doing it in realtime would be a hell of a lot easier than running a search program which checks everyone's internet history.

• "Aren't they just keeping an eye on torrents for the most part?"

that's what I heard

but

for the most part, man

as for which ISPs are doing this, iirc its every major American one

• I don't think the ISP are looking at what you are downloading, to costly and impractical. How I believe it's going to work is that there are effectively poison peers in the torrent swarm.  You try to connect to one of these ip's you're IP address gets flagged and the information is sent to the ISP to be dealt with.

That would make a good deal of sense.

goes to update peerblock

• The program itself has not been updated for a while, focus more on the block lists.

Also this effort is being spearheaded by the mpaa and riaa and there have been reports of it being delayed, So don't panic.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I suppose the late 90s to now have been the Golden Age of the internet. It's only going to be so long until one of these things gets passed and succeeds, at which point we'll reminisce about how it was once possible to download all of Bible Black both free of charge and without facing sexual deviancy charges.

Or 4chan will do something stupid and awesome and things will go back to the way they were. Whatever. 

• You can change. You can.

at which point we'll reminisce about how it was once possible to download all of Bible Black bothfree of charge and without facing sexual deviancy charges.

are you confessing

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

on the bible, sir

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Bible Black? wait, the game or the animation? It's part of my research!

^

it's for research.jpg