If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Mom, can you run some political attack ads for me?

edited 2012-07-17 11:10:59 in Politics
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So campaign finance laws say that those shady groups called "super PACs" (wherein "PAC" means "political action committee"), that can take in and spend unlimited amounts of money on political advertising, have to be independent of candidates.  Like, there's supposed to be no coordination between them and the candidates.

In practice, this is, like all rules in politics, regularly flouted.  Like, you have people who used to work on one side of that divide now working on the other.  Technically not doing the other job anymore.  But I will bet you anything they keep their old friends and acquaintances on their rolodex (if they're old-school) or contacts list (if they're keeping up with modern technology).

So we all know there's stupid shit that goes on in politics.  But then, sometimes, you get shit so stupid it goes beyond the call of duty.  Like this: http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2012/07/when-your-mom-r.php

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Okay, for what it's worth, the article says this:

Ruderman's campaign told the Times that she didn't know her mother had funded the anti-DelBene PAC. Ruderman and Rothschild speak weekly about Rothschild's cancer treatments, according to Ruderman's campaign manager.

There is no apparent evidence to suggest improper coordination in Washington's 1st District,

But it also says this:

but the episode is a reminder that while outside groups aren't allowed to coordinate with the candidates they support, the entities often involve people who have formed longstanding, close relationships with them.

• The only thing I have to add is that the topic's title reminded me of this: