If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Film Club thread 2.0

123457»

Comments

• I know there's a Russian company with that name but they're more into opera theatres and more into theatres of war.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I watched The Woman King and to those who may be concerned I want to say, I have not been transformed into a strong blax womynz. It's a decent movie, if less than cold have been done with source material, and set in an underutilized setting with some quite gorgeous costuming.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Well I didn't mind the existence of that movie, I kind of don't mind a lot of stuff, but I do know of an intense alt-right guy who was like "This movie will be successful" and I was like ?????

Anyways I haven't seen a movie since M3GAN, despite wanting to. Conversely, I have read a lot.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Relatedly: I've found myself occasionally (in anime-related conversations) arguing that CGI isn't inherently bad, too.
  • One of the benefits I've gotten from being into 3DCG is an appreciation for CGI, that it's not magic and a lot of effort goes into it, and that if I don't like what I'm seeing I can at least try and figure out how it was done.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Honestly I feel that CGI gets an unfairly bad rap.

Meanwhile, that which we see in a fictional production is a part of the in-universe events no matter whether it's CGI or "real". The only way the latter is more impressive is if we are evaluating based on the skill (or perhaps the daring) of the actors and stunt crew. That is an evaluation of a performance, which I guess is a thing but is just not quite the same thing.

Meanwhile, if the overuse of CGI makes it look less spectacular in comparison, such desensitization to spectacle only exists as a meta-textual interpretation.

On the other hand if CGI looks awkward, let's not forget the various quirks of live action and hand-drawn animation, where they aren't necessarily fully realistic either -- just that we've gotten used to them.

Anyway that's my personal take.

• I know I posted the first one, like, four posts ago, but I wanted to post this because the part at 5:30 about faking behind-the-scene shots is wild.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    a) I had a top 10 favorite movies list saved to a txt file that I have now somehow lost. I should have posted it here.

b) I will never see the Barbie movie because the hype was too much and also all the stuff I found out about the plot made it clear the America Ferrera character wasn't the central part of the point and Ryan Gosling eats up too much screen-time.

c) Darn, I still haven't watched that video.
  • edited 2024-03-16 08:06:37
    TIL the Wilhelm Scream recording has been found:
  • edited 2024-04-22 04:23:34
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I watched a movie for the first time in who even knows how long!

It was Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen's New York Minute.

I don't have a whole bunch of time to discuss it, but basically it's a "we need to traverse New York" type movie, with a small emotional core to drive the characters (they haven't really communicated properly since their mother died).

Notes:
    • Ashley's character, Jane, is implied to be a Republican (despite being like, 16), which is interesting because she's not evil or extremely stupid (but in fact, the smart one). She's meant to contrast with her sister, who is a rock rebel/presumed future Democrat.
    • This movie prominently features a plot where Mary-Kate's character, Roxy, is trying to get to a Simple Plan music video shoot. I'd never heard this song before, but it's pretty good.
    • A plot where a Chinese salon is a front for a music/movie piracy ring is very spot on for like, 2004, considering this is when people still cared about pirated DVDs I guess.
    • The plotline where a dog eats an important computer microchip seems to be more Disney Channel episode than big-budget-ish movie.
    • I was surprised at how much physical comedy this movie included, considering it stars two petite blond twins.
    • Nobody ever mentions how the main characters are about 17/18 but their love interests are a college student guy and a guy who clearly looks like he's already at least 23ish.
    • At one point, you can see pirated copies of a non-existent sequel to one of yet another Mary-Kate and Ashley movie, Holiday in the Sun, being sold on the street.
    • The thing with Mary-Kate and Ashley constantly accidentally tormenting Darrell Hammond's character was funny.
    • There were dolls based on this movie, but later in the movie they get so many cool looks that I wish there were doll of those too. Of course, these would be dolls from 2004 that were exclusive to America that I could never get, but at least they'd exist.
    • I am 100% amazed that I have never read a Vox article about this scene.