If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Neil Gaiman announces Sandman prequel

edited 2012-07-12 21:46:15 in IJAM
smote

Yes.

Comments

• a little muffled

I should really read Sandman one of these days...

• You can change. You can.

Yes.

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

if i were any more happy this whole world would explode

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    i guess this is the excuse I need to start sandman, huh

yes

do it

but really, if you want to just like, be sure if it's your sorta thing before plundering into the whole thing (Which is 70-ish issues, after all), read Endless Nights first. It's basically an introduction for each of the characters and their personalities and it's not in the main continuity per se. Of course, it also spoils the nature of the missing Endless so read at your own risk, but yeah.

• edited 2012-07-12 23:40:04
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I've already got them on my computer, so the only thing I've really got to lose is time.

i'll start it after I catch up on the Walking Dead and Batman or something

what about planetary? :<<<<<<<<<<<<

ok fine i'll stop bugging you

for now

• I wouldn't think Endless Nights would be the best introduction, Despair and Delirium are a bit more abstract than the series ever gets, and most of the rest aren't quite the series' milieu either.

If you're just curious about it, I'd check out volumes 3, 6 or 8, since they basically consist entirely of standalone stories. (The first volume is kinda odd because it's really concerned with being part of the DCU, I guess to give people a hook to read.)

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Because clearly what we need is another derived work.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Yes.

Also, I should probably finish The Sandman.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    oh yeah

after planetary too

I honestly dunno why I'm having so much trouble just getting back to reading that. I mean, I did really like what I read so far.

I wouldn't think Endless Nights would be the best introduction, Despair and Delirium are a bit more abstract than the series ever gets, and most of the rest aren't quite the series' milieu either.

Well, it did work for me. *shrug*

It doesn't work so that you get introduced to the Sandman properly (Honestly, I think that the first story arc actually does that quite well, regardless of the DCU connection) but it works so that you know whether you are interested in the characters, the writing, the thematical approach as well as the presentation of the book, which can be sometimes unforgiving, in my opinion.

• I can see that. 

My own introduction to Sandman was like the fourth volume, I think. Kind of an odd place to jump in, but it worked.

Speaking of Endless Nights, the way he talks about it indicates it's going to be a cosmic sort of adventure, and now I'm wondering if there's going to be more of the conceit in Dream's story in that volume, with anthropomorphized dimensions and stars and such. I just loved that, especially Delight's reaction to finding out Killalla was just what she looked like.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'm wary, but considering it's Neil fucking Gaiman I should trust this is a story the author wants to tell.

Season of Mists? I liked it quite a bit but I'm not sure if it was a good jumping point (I think it starts with an old dropped plotline?)

also, yeah, I'll have to reread Sandman to remember any of that, huh.

I'm wary, but considering it's Neil fucking Gaiman I should trust this is a story the author wants to tell.

If anything else, the book will be really pretty, considering it's Williams III

• I'm wary, but considering it's Neil fucking Gaiman I should trust this is a story the author wants to tell.

Exactly. For myself, there are a lot of reasons to be wary of things, but I don't see any of them here--considering the success he's had with everything else he's done, he wouldn't revisit Sandman without a reason. Given that it's something that happened canonically, and which appears to actually have been pretty important, there's a good story to be told here. And unless I'm missing something huge (like, maybe his tumblr is ghostwritten by someone really likable?) it's not like Gaiman's lost his touch or gone crazy since he wrote Sandman; if anything, he's improved.

• edited 2012-07-13 10:11:28
    I'm a damn twisted person

Because clearly what we need is another derived work.

It's not like fiction exists in a weird finite resource status, where for every work derived fiction that is churned out, there is one less original story* being written at any time. 

That said I'm pretty stoked about this. It seems like something Gaiman has wanted to tell for a long time, not something Vertigo is asking him to write under contract, more like a plot thread he just never got around to following. 

*A concept itself that usually makes me snort and roll my eyes, at least when the creator places emphasis on being original.