If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Chris Doherty moves to cut city employees' salaries to minimum wage; city employees file lawsuit

edited 2012-07-05 18:50:32 in Politics
Has friends besides tanks now

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/scranton-s-police-fire-dpw-unions-file-lawsuit-against-salary-cuts-1.1338006

Found out about this from SA, actually. Literally couldn't believe the thread title when I first looked at it.

I don't know much else about what's going on, but Jesus Christ a city is trying to reduce firefighters and cops to minimum wage.

EDIT: Sorry about the accidental misleading thread title I had at first.

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Well, fucking hell. This isn't a good precedent to set. Hopefully the unions are able to give them hell.

• On Wednesday, the mayor dropped a bombshell by announcing he would unilaterally cut the pay of 398 city workers, including himself, to minimum wage indefinitely due to the city's cash-crunch crisis.

It's still a shitty thing to do, but that's the most admirable way to do it.

• edited 2012-07-05 21:04:12
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^Huh. Well, he's definitely an idiot, but can't accuse him of inconsistency, at least.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I have no idea about the circumstances surrounding this decision. _/(._.)\_

• Not saying its not noble, but is it sustainable?

• a little muffled

Also note:

Once the crisis is over, employees would be paid the deferred pay, he has said.
    Whether it's actually a terrible idea, I don't know, but it's clearly being legitimately done because of the city's financial problems and not because he's just a dick.

• I'm a damn twisted person

The worst thing is that he tried to pass this unilaterally. It would have only made sense to try to get in touch with the other city workers and explain to them his plan. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Hmmm...I don't agree with his methods, but given that stuff, I can't bring myself to hate the guy.