If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People who talk about surviving a zombie apocalypse.

2»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think zombie apocalyptists (for lack of a better term) are not necessarily racists, by any means.

However, it is a subculture of survivalism, which does have some racists.

To be honest, I think some people are just disillusioned and/or bored with modern day living.

Maybe I should expand it to "any type of person that feels like they need to create a perfect society without any outsiders."

I think zombie apocalyptists (for lack of a better term) are not at all thinking about creating a perfect society without any outsiders.  You could claim that the behavioral pattern is vaguely similar but apart from that I disagree with you.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

This is less about zombies and more about survivalist politics, though. Zombies are just incidental to that. 

Obligatory "zombies are lame, give me revenants" post. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What about ghouls?

And mudmen?

And swampmen?

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves and other such denizens of the night may stay; the rest are lamepants. 

• edited 2012-06-29 11:37:08
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Survivalist politics rarely has much genuine stuff to do with zombie nerds or movies. Even the relatively 'realistic' ones have stretches and twists to make things more interesting. Actual survivalists are more likely to wank off to stuff like Red Dawn. (which, politics aside, is a pretty awesome movie)

Most of the 'zombie survival' nerd conversations I've had have been idle banter rather than any serious conversation about survivalism.

Of course I'm more inclined to 'QUUUUUIIIIRRRRKKKKKKYYYY!' zombie stuff like Shaun of The Dead, Army of Darkness, and the like. Which isn't to say I don't appreciate Romero's genuine undead horror.

• You can change. You can.

That said, one day I'm going to write a story about a group of people who were surviving a zombie apocalypse just fine by establishing a farming commune and minding their own shit, then a bunch of macho dick wavers come out and ruin things for them.

so

the walking dead

from the opposite side

• edited 2012-06-29 13:31:03
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

That said, one day I'm going to write a story about a group of people who were surviving a zombie apocalypse just fine by establishing a farming commune and minding their own shit, then a bunch of macho dick wavers come out and ruin things for them.

RIP Otis

19something - 2012

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^Shit, I hadn't even thought of that.

• a little muffled

@MadassAlex:

Obligatory "zombies are lame, give me revenants" post.
    How would you define "revenant", anyway? I've seen a lot of conflicting ideas as to what it really means.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Most monsters are that way, hence the possibility of shiny disco ball vampires.

• a little muffled

True, but vampires have certain elements that are more or less necessary to call it a vampire at all. Primarily somehow "draining life" from humans (which may or may not involve actually drinking blood). An affinity for darkness is also pretty standard. That leaves a lot of room for variation, but there's some "core" to it.

If there is one of those for revenants, I'm not sure what it is, hence why I'm interested in Alex's perspective.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-06-29 14:51:14

Vampires also have a distinct motive to not kill their victim when possible, and even to not turn them into more vampires most of the time.  I mean, a vampire apocalypse isn't gonna happen unless you're talking about how saturated the literary market gets.

As for a zombie apocalypse, my bet's on the whole thing getting nipped in the bud in ten seconds after they created it, and the next 90 minutes are a romantic comedy with the lab assistant.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Malk if you ever do have this perspective flip of the Walking Dead have one of the characters be a pot farmer who re-purposed his hydroponic facilities and gardening skills to regular farming call them out on the "WE'RE SURVIVING!!" bullshit. 

"What man? No man, no you're not. You're like horrible about surviving. All you guys talk about is running into other dudes and wrecking shit and getting your cranky asses killed or maimed in the process."

How would you define "revenant", anyway? I've seen a lot of conflicting ideas as to what it really means.

My favourite thing about revenants is that there is no clear definition -- every instance of a revenant is a singular individual, with its own traits and perhaps even powers. It's also extremely broad as a term; vampires and draugrs can count as a type of revenant.  

The closest I can come to a "standard" definition is "a person who returns from the dead in order to haunt the living, especially those who were close to them in life or wronged them in some significant manner, often spreading pestilence where they walk."

I suppose the other common factor is that they tend to match vampires in terms of power scale, but are more mysterious and threatening, lacking any standardised depiction.