If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Comix Zone

edited 2012-06-22 15:47:11 in IJAM
They're somethin' else.

In my opinion, one of the Sega Genesis/ Megadrive's best. It's got some pretty good production values, rocking music, and overall really cool (if totally nineties) aesthetic. And it's combat has a huge movelist (for the beat em up genre at the time), and requires you to put some thought into your attacks if you don't want to get your otherwise predictable ass kicked.

However, the game suffers from some incredibly stupid design flaws. The main one being that no matter what you do, you are going to take damage. There are some obstacles in the game that you have to punch out to destroy and get past. Punching something that isn't an enemy is going to chip away at your health. Sure, you can use dynamite and other items, but you're not going to have an item for every single obstacle that blocks your path.

And then, there's the difficulty, and that reaches Battletoads levels of "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME." You have no continues. Not unless you complete a stage (which consists of 2 pages each), which still isn't enough. You won't be able to learn from trial and error as easily as you would Battletoads, since it's gonna take you a while to get back where you were anyway. A few of your deaths will come from traps that blindside you, much like Battletoads did. And I don't care how good the fighting engine is, if the game forces you to put some creativity in your fighting, the game WILL become a chore by the 5th or so restart.

Still a pretty good game though. I guess.

Comments

• Comix Zone is fun, yeah.  But, of course, I never got very far in it, since it's really really hard.

• I think the biggest problem I had with it was that it made you do some really meticulous pixel-perfect jumps, but with the perspective art style and oversized character sprites it was really ambiguous how much space you had and when you'd fall off the platform.